Bad brake judder

Well, you don't see me for months and then I pop back with two separate questions in one day! :D

Right then, 02 model, Octavia, Elegance TDi. Split CV boot after front coil spring snapped (I have a Friday afternoon built one! :rolleyes: ). The split boot was only found when I started hunting down the cause of the brake judder I was getting.

Boot replaced, and also the discs and pads due to contamination from the cv joint grease.

Zimmermann discs and pagid pads: horrendous judder.

Swapped that set-up with Brembo discs and Jurid pads: horrendous judder :(

Swapped that set-up for another set of Brembo's and a set of Ferodo pads: horrendous judder.

Car pulls up in a straight line, doesn't appear to be ABS related.

Car, so far, has had two new struts, new springs, new top mounts and two new wheel bearings fitted.

Any ideas?

I'm beginning to think wishbone bushes are shot?

I had Brembo disks and Pagid pads on the front (only a few k on them), and they have started to judder a bit. I got mine from GSF. Not sure of the cause though. I replaced the disks because I has a judder before which was worse than it is now, but this is noticable, and seems to have come on in the last month or two.

I have never done any really hard or prolonged braking to warp the disks....

I have also replaced my front shocks and top mounts and ARB bushes. 2001 110TDi with 115k on the clock.

Thanks for that, I got my parts from GSF too.

It's driving me crazy as I really cannot find the solution to this.

I've stripped and cleaned the calipers and slides. Everything else looks great.

I've read that the wishbone bushes can be difficult to inspect properly though and can even be missed at MOT inspection (mine passed it's MOT with the judder!).

Not sure what else to try :(

new disks and shocks a month or two before the MOT, and new shocks the day before the MOT :-) When I replaced the fronts, I gave them a quick clean, but nothing too serious.

I guess I still have the pleasure of the wheel bearings to come.... :-(

The wheel bearings are a wonderful job at the front :(

I was lucky: I'd just bought myself a hydraulic bench press for the project car wheel bearings.

I was unlucky though in that I was having to rebuild the hub in the dark, in the rain, on a cold March night and I managed to cross-thread the caliper slider :o

Needed to get a replacement hub after that and replace the wheel bearing that was in that hub before I could get the car back on the road :rolleyes:

Hmmm, it was a 2nd hand hub. I did wonder about that at at the time.

Laziness and too many things to do have stopped me getting the thread repaired on the old hub (which has a brand new bearing fitted in it as well!).

I may just take the opportunity to get a helicoil fitted into the hub for the caliper bolt and see if the original hub cures the problem.

Could you not just tap or die (carn't remember which) it to clean the threads out.

If you do you may find that you might have warped the discs out of shape, but iam not sure about this.

No, unfortunately the thread is completely stripped so tapping it just won't help.

I have a local blacksmith/ATV workshop type place that should be able to put a helicoil in, I'll have a visit down to them and see if they can help.

I'll let you know what happens!

Can you not get the discs skimmed in situ to counteract any warping on the hub?

Had this done on one of my old Hondas after seized piston in the callipers caused so much heat it warped the hub.

Got a dial guage to check run-out with?

Yes, when the car comes back I'm going to try out my new toy (the dial gauge!) :thumbup: