Smoke coming from engine bay

Jimb0

Was parked up yesterday in a layby making a phone call with the engine ticking over and the aircon on cold, car had been running for a 10min drive already and had been parked up for maybe 5mins tops.

Then suddenly quiet alot of gray smoke (deffo not steam) started billowing out of the engine. Sharpish i turned the engine off and popped the bonnet.

Cant see anything leaking etc, but there was water dripping out the bottom of the sump guard, but not sure if it was any more than if the air was just normally on.

Gave it 5mins and turned it back on, ran for about 4mins then started smoking again, happened to be sitting in the car at this point and noticed a strange whurling noise coming though the air vents, so I turned the aircon off and the smoke from the engine immediately stopped.

Left the car running for another 10mins and everything appears to be fine.

Car runs fine, doesn't overheat and i cant notice any loss in power, car sounds normal and no smoke since, coolant levels fine, oil not long been changed over, oil levels fine, and oil is nice and smooth, no white gunk. Head up on whats the problem from anyone??

Aircon packed up?

Booking it into the dealers today, hope its a warrenty job.

Cheers in advance.

Jimb0

Can you get someone to switch the air con on with the bonnet up? Might be able to see where the smoke is coming from. Air con compressor should be cycling all the time but might be issues when it's asked to increase the duty cycle.

Might also be worth plugging in VAG-COM to see if the car thinks there's anything wrong.

Chris

I thought the Fabia didn't have an A/C compressor clutch.

My documention describes it as -

The compressor operates continuously via a driver clutch in the belt drive. If the compressor blocks the rubber elements are sheared off. The compressor pulley rotates while the compressor shaft stays still

We shorted one of the A/C sensors on the bosses wifes car (non Skoda) to do a test on the A/C. This system had an orifice tube rather than an expansion valve. we left it running for a while and suddenly there was this horrendous bang and a large cloud of fog appeared. It had blown the safety valve on the compressor - no major damage.

You could have a faulty high pressure sensor, the car not moving allowing the less A/C gas cooling, resulting in a higher pressure than would normally be reached.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Had the same problem on mine & a workmates car has just done the same.

There is a blockage in the gas circuit that stops the compressor starting fully. As a result the cooling fan is disabled, so at standstill the gas overheats and gets blown out the pressure release valve on the compressor. Mine had to have the compressor replaced. Warranty fortunately!