fault 01217

for the third time my skoda octavia II gives me this

error

01217 - Side Airbag Igniter; Driver Side

except this time the dealer using vag-com cant turn of that error light!!!

they sayd that the cables should be changed etc...and wanted to charge me whit 400

I would say it is a wiring fault. It was subject to a Technical Service Bulletin and therefore should be repaired free of charge by the dealer.

The cause of the fault code being stored in the airbag control unit is intermittently increased contact resistance in the connector bonding of the terminal boxes, which are marked in CFD’s as T3g and T3j for the driver’s side airbag module or T3h and T3k for the passenger’s side airbag module. In order to clear these fault codes, please ensure that all the pin connector contacts are secure and tight.

• 12 years later...
  • 2 months later...
On 27/03/2020 at 12:07, narerusco said:

I know this is a very old thread, however having this problem on my car, wanted to check where the connectors are located so that I can try to fix this myself 🙂

Did you get yours sorted narerusco? I am looking at mine the weekend, should be the wiring under the seat, normally the connector block area. If you still need help I'll report back if it helps you!

• 2 years later...
On 26/06/2020 at 21:39, WIG said:

Did you get yours sorted narerusco? I am looking at mine the weekend, should be the wiring under the seat, normally the connector block area. If you still need help I'll report back if it helps you!

Hello, just bought a 2009 fabia 3 with this light. Under which seat do I look as I cant seem to find this block

Front or rear seat ?

Driver or passenger side?

19 minutes ago, Italianoxx said:

Hello, just bought a 2009 fabia 3 with this light. Under which seat do I look as I cant seem to find this block

Front or rear seat ?

Driver or passenger side?

Hi Italiano, and welcome to the forum!

It shouldn't be too different to a MK2 octi, so if you have VCDS you would know what seat is at fault because it tells you that and also what air bag is at fault. If it is the side airbag igniter then it will be a front seat wiring issue as I don't think the mk3 fabia's have rear side airbags on a 20009, could be wrong, but either way a simple diagnostic test will tell you which seat it is.

If you go to the side seat (front) that has the issue and raise it if possible to expose as much as possible under the seat then look for the YELLOW connector plug, once you have found this try first just unplugging it with the ignition switched OFF the just check for any dirt / debris that may be in there and give it a blow out and reconnect it, then turn the ignition back on again, if it's a simple bit of crap in a connector then the light will go out and not come back on again, which in alot of cases it is simply that, if it comes back on then there will be a wiring issue. For this you will need to inspect the wiring closer and sometimes it's quite aparrent what the cause is, other times you may need to cut and join wires together cutting out the plug and socket, but that's a last resort.

I hope some of this makes a bit of sense to you. I must add, that in the absence of a diagnostic computer such as VCDS the light will still go out without deleting codes, but the codes will still be stored in the ECU until they are cleared using such a computer.

Fingers crossed it's a simple fix for you, it was for me and every day at work it's the first thing I do, unplug it, clean it, reconnect it, most of the time it's job done!

• Thanks 1

Thank you, I only have the Foxwell tool which is generic. I can read codes and erase but that's as technical as it gets.

I will look at both front seats and have a dig around, and you are correct no rear bags on this one

3 minutes ago, Italianoxx said:

Thank you, I only have the Foxwell tool which is generic. I can read codes and erase but that's as technical as it gets.

I will look at both front seats and have a dig around, and you are correct no rear bags on this one

Along with the fault code it should give a short description of the fault and point you in the right direction. I have a generic foxwell aswell as VCDS, but it is for everyday garage use and tells me as much as VCDS but you just don't have the extra coding etc etc that VCDS provides.

I am pretty sure MK3 fabs don't have side airbags of their own, maybe one in the 'B' pilar for all occupants, but never having owned one and never having any call to investigate one on a customers' car I can't say for sure, but it is very rare to develop a wiring fault on a rear seat anyway. In my experience it is always the front seats with the gap underneath, sometimes it's dirt, someitmes because someone has shoved something under there and snagged a wire or it's a seat that has been moved and the wiring didn't like it!! 😁

• Thanks 1