tempreture

Hi

I have a Fabia 19 TDI 2001 Comfort.

I also have (and am selling) a 14MPI.

I noticed that the TDI takes a lot longer to get up to operating temp compared to the 14 MPI.

Is this normal, it takes about 7-8 miles...

Also while on the subject, I find that the car if run downin say 3rd gear, seems to surge and almost drive itsself. Is this normal or have I got a problem.

Cheers

Gary

7 or 8 miles seems a bit too long, but my Octy (TDi 110) usually needs 4 or 5 miles to get fully hot on the gauge (running in open country, not built-up).

You don't say which tune the Furbie is, but mine will run at idle revs feet off in anything up to 3rd, and pulls from 1000rpm in any gear. Try and brake it below idle and the idle speed controller increases fuel to keep the revs constant. So it sounds reasonably normal to me.

7 to 8 miles is about right for mine. This is driving gently (as you should) until it warms up. Simply down to the nature of the engine. Diesel one takes longer to get warm, but when it does get warm it also stays warm for longer when switched off. On my TDI, when the coolant needle is pointing at 90 saying "everything's warm" in reality the oil is only at about 50 degrees in the sump (operating temp mid 70s) and water is around 60 degrees (so the gauge on the dash lies basically :rolleyes: )

Typical idle speed is about 800rpm cold or hot. As I said earlier, if you try and pull the engine below that speed on the brakes, it will increase throttle to try and hold revs. Add that to a diesel making way more low rev torque than a similar power petrol engine, and you could get the feeling that it's rough or "trying to run away with you" if you try and rev right down for a tight corner.

Furbie - pet name for the Fabia.

Tune - There are several diesel engines that you might have one of, and most of them are available with 2 or more power outputs on the same short engine through the miracles of electronics.

My idle is (I think ) high at 950 however it seems that my coolant sensor is open circuit (codee 17664) so I am replacing it in the hope that the idle might reduce to 800 when its read properly.

If this fails its main ajent to remap the ECU I suppose.

I think my engine is the 100BHP.

G