VRS rear bumper - crash repairs

ibex777

Hi

My Fabia VRS was hit from behind by another driver a couple of months back at about 30mph.

The damage didn't seem to be that bad, but the rear bumper had crushed in and rebounded and was pretty trashed. It also seemed to me that the exhaust tail pipe was bent.

I had to use my insurer's nominated repairers (who will remain nameless for the time being) because otherwise I would have to pay any difference over the amount they would have charged.

When I collected the car the first time the leading edges of the rear bumer moulding were basically "hanging off" on both sides and boot would close properly (it rebounded off and only closed in the ajar position unless slammed).

I returned the car to them and they appear to have fixed the boot closure problem by adjusting the catch (so the panel gap seems to be too big when the boot is closed).

The leading edge on one side of the bumper moulding still isn't anywhere near flush to the bodywork and it seems to be loose. The repairers told me that it is really hard to fit this properly because the outer moulding has funny clips that tend to break off. They also say that the boot is fine and that the panel gaps are my fault for wanting the catch adjusted so that it would close without being slammed.

This all sucks, but my question is whether anyone knows if it really that hard to re-fit the bumper properly or whether they are just cowboys / idiots. Has anyone had crash repairs in this area that were as good as the original?

I also worry about the rest of the work they have done and whether there is some structural damage which is causing the difficulties - any easy way to check for this?

Lesson learnt - in that I won't be choosing my insurance solely on the cheapest quote in future and will read the small print about repairs - but I need to get this sorted or I will get shafted when I have to trade / sell the car.

Cheers

First thing to do is get onto your insurance company in relation to the shoddy repairs that their nominated garage are carrying out. Get a quote from Skoda for the damage to be properly repaired and tell your insurance company that you want the job completing properly by a reputable garage or a main dealer - if the bumper doesn't fit back on your car you want a new one, not a crash-repaired one - you don't pay your annual premium for this kind of BS. I take it you didn't lose any NCB or excess as it was the other driver's fault? So any repairs that are needed should be claimed back from the other driver's insurance company by your insurance company. If they don't deliver the goods speak to a solicitor.

Also - Make sure you have a good look under the carpet in the boot in the spare wheel well and surrounding area - I was hit from behind at low speed a while back and while the damage did not initially look that bad, there was severe structural damage to the boot floor and the chassis was out of true, which was very costly to repair. A good mechanic will be able to tell you straight away if there is any sort of structural damage to your vehicle, which will need sorting out, or, as you rightly say, you will get shafted when it's time to say bye bye to the car.

if the tailgate was difficult to shut , it sounds like the panel has been pushed in by the impact , especially as you say now that they've had to adjust the catch and there is a big gap now , plus there is an impact beam behind the bumper , have they replaced that ?

also the rear bumper is notoriously difficult to fit together properly , there are a few on here who have had similar experiences with them

get onto your insurers and kick off about the poor repair

You do "really" need to get the car checked by an independant

30mph is some shunt

My bros car VW Passat was shunted at about 10mph, minimal damage

the lady driver that hit him asked if she could pay as she had just had

two claims on her insurance

He said well it seems minimal a dent in the plastic bumper, but took it to

the dealer who delivered the crunch blow over

The Fabia vRS bumper is in two parts and notoriously difficult to put together. The fortunate part of this is that you've used the approved repairer and therefore should have the support of your insurer.

Thanks for all the replies. I have got a copy of the engineers report from my insurers now and am going to be speaking to them about it further this week.

The engineers report shows that they have put the car on a chassis jig, repaired the boot floor, pulled out the "rear panels", replaced the bumper re-enforcement, bumper mounts and "lock bearer" as well as just replacing the bumper. Total bill was about

I have a very similar problem! Someone reversed into my bumber back in February, hitting hit the offside corner. Thought this will be easy, new bumper job done - how wrong was I.

Car has now been back 3 or 4 times, lost count now and still has to go back again. Had problems with the 2 parts not bonding, where the two parts join there was no fine line round it (looked like the bonding agent had been used like grout!), shoddy paint on it, paint reacting with the bonding agent, boot not shutting properly, rear light cluster sticking out etc etc.

First time I complained the repairers said that it is difficult to bond and then added "you'll never get it looking like it was" :eek: I think I will.

Have complained to the insurers and they sent an engineer out. He thinks that there is possibly more too it than just the bumper now. Had him talk to the "approved" repairers and he will monitor it the next time it goes back in. We shall see what happens, may all be OK by 2010:rolleyes: . Good luck with yours.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got my car back last night - got the insurance company engineer out to go over the previous repairs with me and the garage in the end and he agreed that they were not up to spec.

The bodyshop manager took charge of things as well, which seems to have helped. Turns out that the dodgy tailgate gap was due to the rear passenger side quarter / light panel having been knocked in in the crash rather than a problem with the tailgate.

They have pulled that out, re-bonded the bumper properly and centred the exhaust (the mountings had also been bent and not straightened).

The garage dropped it back home to me last night after hours and it now all looks absolutely spot-on. Pleased with the repairs, but a shame they couldn't have done it to that standard straight away.

Good to have it back though - it is seriously annoying when every time you look at the car there is something not quite right about it.

Am still going to have to bring some kind of claim for the loss in value though - I presume when I sell / trade-in the car it will be worth less as it has been repaired so I need to get that back from the other driver's insurance.

Unfortunately, having just sorted out one insurance claim I managed to crash a hire car in Scotland last week (not my fault - I was actually stopped and a driver lost control coming the other way on a wet road and went straight into the side of my car) -

Glad you have your Furby back looking spot on.

Its a pity that some bodyshops cannot do it right before you have to complain. We here about shoddy repairs and poor treatment a lot on here and it is good that people share their experiences. It can be quite difficult finding somewhere with good quality control and employees who have pride in the work they produce.

Anyone fancy starting a independent bodyshop and workshop business with well trained and bothered staff for Skoda owners of Briskoda?

Am still going to have to bring some kind of claim for the loss in value though - I presume when I sell / trade-in the car it will be worth less as it has been repaired so I need to get that back from the other driver's insurance.

Good luck with that one! I've never heard of this happening or being successful, let us know how you get on. Potentially any buyer shouldn't notice as the repair should be as good as new and it's 'buyer beware'.