cutting out at traffic lights??

Recently my car (99 1.3 mpi felicia) died completly when the battery overcharged and **** all of its charge back into everything electrical in my engine, melting my ecu, destroying my alternator and boiling the battery to death! i fixed all of these things on the cheap (got the battery refunded from halfords cos it was 'faulty', bought the alternator from a scrappy and the ecu off ebay) everything is fited and the car runs fine now apart from when you stop at traffic lights or generally when your idle.

For some reason the car is displaying the battery warning light when the car is idle and sometimes at low speeds the car will just cut out completly.

If anyone can help that would be great as ive only had the car for 6 months now and i wouldnt mind keeping it for a bit longer

It could be the replacement alternator not charging properly that's causing the battery warning. If that means the battery's also getting low sometimes, that could cause the cutting out.

On the original issue, it was a faulty alternator regulator that let the alternator overcharge the battery... Was the regulator changed?

when the car is idle and sometimes at low speeds the car will just cut out completly

Throttle body - hope not cos it's extra expensive.

Known fault on VW engines from approx 95 to 2000. Son's Polo did it - was quoted £500 + VAT, after £90 diagnostic. Sometimes cleaning throttle body will cure problem.

'My' mechanic got new one, warrantied for a year, all in cost ended up at £275.

i thoght the voltage regulator was built onto the alternator so i didnt think about changing it

the alternator only started overcharging after like 3 months of having it originally no problems then just one day it was just over charging and no one can work out why...

i tried ajusting the throttle cable but i think i may have done it wrong and actually made it worse so i might try re adjusting it tomorrow

where abouts is the voltage regulator for the alternator so i can have a look as well tomorrow

the spark plugs got changed when the car broke down so they are practically new.

one thing i did notice was that when i took the engine panel off to adjust the throttle and then started it, it was fine, but now i have put the panel back on the battery warning light has re appeared... could there be anything wrong with my air intake?