felicia ignition switch?

Hello, I wonder if there is anyone who can suggest any solutions to the following?

I have a 1998 1.3 Felicia - apart from normal replacement of worn bits I've had no trouble with it apart from having to have the ignition switch replaced - the first time I had a second hand one put in - that lasted around 10 months, I then had it replaced with a new one and thought that should do the trick but now around 20 months later that's gone as well. So am getting a bit fed up. (Symptoms - all warning lights come on but nothing happens when the key is turned, no clicks etc. Slight whirring sometimes. When the solenoid is given power the starter motor works and the car starts - no problem).

My questions are -

am I doing something wrong - am I not turning the ignition key properly and so causing the internal contacts in the switch to burn out?

is there a inherent fault with these switches or have I just been unlucky three times?

Finally is there an easy way of fitting a supplemantary switch which would feed power to the solenoid - so the existing switch could be left alone and the supplementary one used to start the car when the ignition is on?

Any thoughts would help - I'm loathe to keep paying garage bills but don't especially want to get rid of the car and don't have faith in my abilities to drop the steering wheel and repalce the switch myself!

Thanks

Ive heard of your suggestion been done before on felicias.... think the switch can be quite prone to breaking and so a start button has been added in which you basically push to start once the ignition is on.

Push start button

This is one i found on ebay... dont know how easy it would be install... maybe be a quick job for an auto electrician and save money now and in the future...

Hope this helps

I fixed this with a bodge,:chef: and it's worked OK for some months now.

I had the same idea as you, even got a push switch from Milehams, and some wire.

Did ring a breaker just to enquire cost of ignition switch, and he said the problem was loose fixing screws on the back of the switch.I did not find the loose screws,aint easy to see much behind there.

But I did find pushing the rear of the switch housing over with my thumb did the job, and it did feel slightly wobbly,(ooer). But then it would find it's way back again.:confused:

And then :rolleyes:, brainwave:hbomb::), shove something in there to wedge it over.

Searching Hi & Lo I found a bit of plastic (actually some sort of cupboard door catch I think).

And it worked :hooray::banana: :thumbup:

feliciaignitionswitchbodge013r.jpg?t=1189973236

feliciaignitionswitchbodge011r.jpg?t=1189973322

feliciaignitionswitchbodge010r.jpg?t=1189973380

Could glue it in with PVA ? (The plastic door catch that is).

And looking at this picture above, ( I've only just now taken these photo's) are those brass coloured roundy stud thingys screws with a tiny hex insert ?

Or maybe they're just brass coloured roundy stud thingys.

Thats the one that i was looking for... seen those that say for Skoda's before and couldnt find it this time... must have been too tired to press button and... stuff....

Think the suggested "wedge" is definately worth a try first!!!

P.s. iansmith, your dash around the wheel looks different to mine... mine is just in a top and a bottom piece that fit together, whereas yours appears to be in three sections.

Wish mine was like that as the two pieces dont fit together properly and theres a bit gap between them!

The wedge didn't do the trick.

The separate push button ignition has been fitted now and seems to work fine - wire taken off the back of the ignition switch, connected to the button and wired back to the switch. The ignition switch is turned so all the warning lights come on (the last stop before the final turn to engage the starter) and the push button is pressed instead of that final turn. It works!

Can mail pictures if they are of any use to anyone - can't find how to post them here.

Thanks everyone for their help

The wedge didn't do the trick.

The separate push button ignition has been fitted now and seems to work fine - wire taken off the back of the ignition switch, connected to the button and wired back to the switch. The ignition switch is turned so all the warning lights come on (the last stop before the final turn to engage the starter) and the push button is pressed instead of that final turn. It works!

Can mail pictures if they are of any use to anyone - can't find how to post them here.

Thanks everyone for their help

hello what kind of button did you use and was it easy to fit

Oh well, mine still works OK (ignition switch that is :))

I believe the replacement ones go in the fag ,thats British FAG that is, ( go-on you Yanks LYFAO:orb_laugh ) fag lighter body hole :orb_laugh, instead of your FAG lighter:orb_laugh.

dovercliffs.jpg

AND you can keep your fag lighter to yourself.:orb_laugh.

Which I suppose is alright if you don't smoke, I don't.

• Like 1

I got the switch from -

Vehicle Wiring Products Ltd. Suppliers of auto electrical parts. - cost £5.17 plus delivery - I'd used them before - no instructions so the purpose designed kits may be preferable.

The switch was wired in to the back of the ignition switch - the brown wires in the pics are the wires to and from the new push button switch.

The new switch was fitted into a hole drilled in the plastic cover under the steering column - it could have gone anywhere convenient really but I didn't want to mess about threading wires through the dash.

It seems to work fine - so far!

I'll try to post pics again - have tried a few times with no success

Just click 'POST REPLY'

Scroll down to ' Additional Options'

Click on 'Manage Attachments'

A new box will open with the options to

Upload a file from your computer

or

Upload a file from an URL

• 1 month later...
I got the switch from -

Vehicle Wiring Products Ltd. Suppliers of auto electrical parts. - cost £5.17 plus delivery - I'd used them before - no instructions so the purpose designed kits may be preferable.

The switch was wired in to the back of the ignition switch - the brown wires in the pics are the wires to and from the new push button switch.

The new switch was fitted into a hole drilled in the plastic cover under the steering column - it could have gone anywhere convenient really but I didn't want to mess about threading wires through the dash.

------------------------------------------------------

Help! I've got the same problem.

I've looked at the pictures but cant quite tell how you have wired it - is the push button switch between the Red (battery) and Yellow (starter) wires on ignition switch? If so, is it wired between Red wire TERMINAL on ignition switch and END of Yellow wire (I.E. Yellow wire no longer connected to ignition switch) or to Yellow wire TERMINAL on ignition switch? Or ........?

Thanks

I got the switch from -

------------------------------------------------------

Help! I've got the same problem.

I've looked at the pictures but cant quite tell how you have wired it - is the push button switch between the Red (battery) and Yellow (starter) wires on ignition switch? If so, is it wired between Red wire TERMINAL on ignition switch and END of Yellow wire (I.E. Yellow wire no longer connected to ignition switch) or to Yellow wire TERMINAL on ignition switch? Or ........?

Thanks

• 2 years later...

Thanks - have had another go.

Hi andy, I might be looking at doing this to sort out my Felicia.

Did you use any relays at all or just a couple of wires and a button?

Which 2 terminals have you connected? Not easy to see on the pic.

Hi,

I had an ignition switch problem on my felicia that same as you describe. All warning lamps ok but no starter when you turn the key. I removed the ignition switch and took the actual switch apart, (bend the metal tabs out). turns out that the current from the starter solenoid has caused the contacts in the switch to arc over the years, filling it up with burnt crusty ****. I cleaned the terminals and re-assembled, (be careful not to loose the little springs inside) and it has worked fine ever since, (about 4 years now). It's not a hard job and doesn't take long at all. just be careful when you dissassemble the switch and put all the little pieces back in the switch in their correct positions.

Hope that helps someone!

Rob.

Hi,

I had an ignition switch problem on my felicia that same as you describe. All warning lamps ok but no starter when you turn the key. I removed the ignition switch and took the actual switch apart, (bend the metal tabs out). turns out that the current from the starter solenoid has caused the contacts in the switch to arc over the years, filling it up with burnt crusty ****. I cleaned the terminals and re-assembled, (be careful not to loose the little springs inside) and it has worked fine ever since, (about 4 years now). It's not a hard job and doesn't take long at all. just be careful when you dissassemble the switch and put all the little pieces back in the switch in their correct positions.

Hope that helps someone!

Rob.

Inadvertantly took mine apart the other day too ! I took the end off and as you say, the contact plates and springs flew everywhere. I put it back together correctly as it happens as all still works, or not as is the case, as befpre. I noticed a small arced area too, but have decided to get another switch. Just waiting for it to turn up, been 4 days now. :wonder:

Edited by myjalopy

• 2 years later...

the immobilser kicks in and stops it running but you can hot wire one i got a remote start on mine but i have to leave chip in car to remote start it

Edited by uma1998