? CV joint problem

Jules59

Had the VRS back from garage about 2 weeks (new engine following flood damage)

Coming home last night. I stopped to answer the phone. On driving off again I heard a loud "ticking " sound coming from underneath the front passenger side. If a drove faster than walking speed, the car would suddenly judder in time with a heavy thump from under the front passenger floor area- the ticking continued. Stopped, to have a look underneath - absolutely nothing abnormal to be seen.

Drove very slowly the mile home.

Didnt have time last night to get underneath. Will check it out today. But I think its a Constant Velocity joint problem.

But turning hte wheels doesnt alter the ticking, so maybe it the inboard joint.

What do you guys think.

Jules

Seems no one had any suggestions about this.

Anyway it turned out that all 6 nearside drive flange bolts were very loose. :eek: 2 had actually fallen out; one inside the under-tray , the other found on the road.

Skoda Assistance chap came out this am and put it back together and also check d the offside bolts which were OK.

Seemingly its quite common for these bolts on the shorter drive shaft to work loose- though I suspect in this case its a dealer failure to check tightness after the engine swap.

Seems OK to drive but have booked it back at the dealer for a more thorough check.

Jules

Seemingly its quite common for these bolts on the shorter drive shaft to work loose.

Jules

Sh!te.

I had some work loose on a Golf because some fricking idiot (me) didn't tighten them properly, and having had gearboxes and driveshafts in and out of several VAG cars, they do not just work loose.

You had a lucky escape- my driveshaft came adrift and smashed a hole in the box....

:thumbdwn: