Fabia vRS front door speaker change - how to (with pics)

Seeing as my crossovers were too big to fit inside the doors I originally fitted my tweeters on the dash. After having a previous car broken into because the speakers were too visible, it has long been on my to-do list to put them into the doors. It took me 6 hours to re-locate them into the doors at the weekend and what a pain it was to get some speaker wire through the door connectors, especially on the drivers side. I had to remove the lower part of the dash on the drivers side to get very limited access to behind the connector. I am very happy that I have finally done it but I would never ever do it again. I broke the central locking on the drivers door, the A/C can cooler, my Sat/Nav and lost half the skin on both hands and arms in the process! Now I can put the crossovers in the boot :thumbup:

• 6 months later...
Seeing as my crossovers were too big to fit inside the doors I originally fitted my tweeters on the dash. After having a previous car broken into because the speakers were too visible, it has long been on my to-do list to put them into the doors. It took me 6 hours to re-locate them into the doors at the weekend and what a pain it was to get some speaker wire through the door connectors, especially on the drivers side. I had to remove the lower part of the dash on the drivers side to get very limited access to behind the connector. I am very happy that I have finally done it but I would never ever do it again. I broke the central locking on the drivers door, the A/C can cooler, my Sat/Nav and lost half the skin on both hands and arms in the process! Now I can put the crossovers in the boot :thumbup:

I couldn't get the can cooler hose back on again, its impossible.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for this, it has been helpful, although im still making the spacers after problems ive had.

Anyway, I am a complete novice and am also not sure how to rewire the original box connection for the speakers into plugs for my infinity 6512i reference.

These speakers are full range (I know components are better but thought it would be easier!). I take it this meens the current tweaters will need disconnecting?

How do I turn this box of wires into compatible spades for the speaker connection? Really am lost with this!

Thanks.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

quick question (and it is relating to this topic;))

to get to the tweeters that are hidden by the grill on the front door level with the mirrors. do you have to take the whole of the door trim off or can the little piece of grey plastic be removed without all of the hassle of removing everything?? :confused:

blown the tweeter or crossover in the drivers door and think the passenger side is on it's way out as well.

also wondering if these would fit?? eBay.co.uk: CAR TWEETERS-SPEAKERS-BUILTIN CROSOVER-BNIB ! ! (item 130121496504 end time 14-Jun-07 22:23:34 BST)

any advice welcome before i go mad with the bass trying to escape from the top of the door :eek:

you can get the tweeter cover of without takijng the whole door card of pop it of at the top and then you should be able to slide it up i ahve done it befor but im not sure if you will get to the wiering to unplug the tweeter i think it had a clip holding the cable in place with a pice of foam around it.

just looked at that ebay link and was thinking that if your going to change the tweeters why dont you go the whole way and do the speakers as well or just get a replacement tweeter from a skoda dealer shouldnt cost much or probably someone on heer may have one that they have taken out (due to upgrade) i think iv still got mine but im not sure wot i have done with them

Yeah - been looking itno the full upgrade option as well - seriously considering it!!! :thumbup:

got the day off work tomorrow so think i'll pop into my local car electrics shop (ice & alarms sold there) and find out what they have for the fabia and what sort of price they would charge to change it all over (can't be @rsed with all of the hasle of pulling both sides of the car to bits :rofl: :rofl: )

It's starting to look like the OEM speaker setup can't handle the abuse from the sony GT300S system (even without an amp installed).

most car audio instalers will charge you a arm and both legs to fit speakers + there mark up on parts is well worth looking at doing the fitting yourself but it all depends on what speakers you want. some places could charge you

all sorted for next Saturday (decided to let them have all the fun with the wiring etc. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:)

and if they don't work - they will have to sort them out free of charge!!! :thumbup:

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I'm nearly there!

I've modified the existing wiring with spade connectors, but I can't figure out how to affix the adaptors to the doors. The holes in the doors that were left after drilling out the rivets are too large.

What did you do?

• 2 weeks later...
I'm nearly there!

I've modified the existing wiring with spade connectors, but I can't figure out how to affix the adaptors to the doors. The holes in the doors that were left after drilling out the rivets are too large.

What did you do?

Pop to homebase and find a suitable size nut and bolt combination?