Favorit Tightness

daz51

Hey guys,

As some of you will know i have purchased a lovely 1993 L Reg Favorit. Now the car has only done 10 thousand miles in 14 years. The car is also very tight due to it only being driven around town.

the car also is the 135 model.

The problem i am having is that on a full tank i only get about 295 miles before needing to fill up. Bare in mind i did put £40 of fuel in it.

Does that sound about right or am i right in thinking that once it is more free it will give better fuel economy ????

cheers guys

On a more serious note, my wife's 1.4MPi Fabia struggles to get more than 300-odd miles from a tank if she's only doing town driving (assuming there isn't all that much difference between the engine in her car and the one in yours...)

I would probably give the cooling system a good flush through with some sort of chemical, then fill with g12+ coolant 50/50 making sure all chemicals are flushed out. This should remove any gunk built up over the years in the pipes and radiator and cylinder block etc etc. I would do this with the heater setting in car set to hot and if loads and loads of limescale and gunk come out I would consider reverse flushing the radiator, which basically involves removing it, turning it upside down and putting a hose on the bottom hose (which is now at the top) and waiting till clear water comes out the bottom.

I found the best improvement in fuel efficiency on my favorit when I had replaced the plugs, leads, distributor cap, rotor arm, and adjusted the valve clearances. I got nearly 40mpg on my last journey of around 230 miles which I don't think is bad on an Estate that was full of luggage and being driven at 70-75mph. I've not taken my car down to the point of the fuel light coming on yet, so don't know if ti works, but I wouldn't think 295 miles to a tank sounds disasterous for short journey city driving.

Also consider that the mileometer might have seized up. Mine has. When looking at fuel consumption I tend to look at how much the tank takes after a long journey which I know is the same length. Problem is that only tells me how good the car is on motorway driving. You can tell if the clock gets stuck by re-setting the odometer. If it sticks at zero, or it may get stuck at something like 33 miles with a 3 on the end, the clock above will not advance too. This would explain part of the low mileage too if it is the case.

AFAIK the 1.4 MPI is based on the same engine, with different bore sizes (increasing capacity from 1.3 to 1.4) and the multi point fuel injection system. The petrol tank on a favorit is about 47 litres.