What do to next?

I'm after a bit of advise relating to the problems I've have with my new vRS.

I took delivery of it on the 15th of August and since then I have had multiple issues with it.

The biggest problem is the gearbox: -

• There is a judder on the clutch
  • Smooth gear change is difficult
  • There is a low pitched whine from the gearbox at low speeds

I have taken the car back to the dealer twice now, the first time the technicians report who drove it said that there was a judder but this was engine judder (wtf?) and not clutch related and that there was a whine noise but he didnt know if this was 'normal with it being a vRS' and he would have to wait until another come in to compare it to. The conclusion of the discussion with the service guy was to take it away and 'monitor' the problem to see if it improves or gets worse???

Booked it in for a second time....this time 2 technicians drove the car and both said that there was absolutely nothing wrong the car! The sales manager even had the nerve to say 'if the car is driven like it is supposed to be driven the gearchange is fine, however if it is thrashed it will be jerky' Which annoyed me to say the leased...however I did manage to keep my cool with her.

She then passed me back to the chap I booked it in with who said he couldn't fix a car that has nothing wrong with it and to call them if any other problem arise with the car :confused:

But alas the problem don't end there... I also asked them to look at the paintwork as in low light under my security lamp I noticed swirl marks on the bonnet and a haze which looked like it had been poorly polished with what I suspected was a machine polisher. Asked them to inspect it, again nothing wrong with it....:mad:

So I called the garage again this week who said they would speak to the Diamondbrtite rep. Friendly chap called Ian came and had a look at the car the other night who inspected the paintwork and confirmed my fears about the machine polishing...He has since contacted the dealer and instructed them to strip and reapply the Diamondbrite as the stage 2 polished seemed to take the swirling out.

So any ideas what I should do about the gearbox? Should I take it to another dealer in the hope the they actually address the problem and not just fobb me off with BS? Or complain to Skoda UK?

Any advise will be very much appreciated :thumbup:

try another dealer!

i would go and find another vrs to drive and see if any of the problems are present in that car. Also where abouts are you? as they might be someone near you with a similar car to compare if the dealers are unforthcoming with help.

If your near me (south east) then if ive got a similar car here your more than welcome to have a test drive to see if its got the same issues? (although i havent got a petrol version at hand right now?

Obviously your friendly dealer couldn't give a toss about your car now they have your money.

Go to another dealer and with a bit of luck they will identify the problem as it seems to be more serious than a bit of squeaky trim.

Once the problem is confirmed I would write a letter of complaint to Skoda UK about the attitude of the original dealer.

Can I do that? I'm sure in an ideal world I should be able to reject it and get a new car ordered...

However, the motor trade still seems to be in the dark ages when it comes to after sales service and sticking to DTI guidelines!!!:(

Booked it in for a second time....this time 2 technicians drove the car and both said that there was absolutely nothing wrong the car! The sales manager even had the nerve to say 'if the car is driven like it is supposed to be driven the gearchange is fine, however if it is thrashed it will be jerky' Which annoyed me to say the leased...however I did manage to keep my cool with her.

The amount of 'you don't what you are talking about' threads from dealers is really worrying.

As for the sales manager, I would have politely asked her to come and show me how it should be driven and if the judder was very noticeable, I would have politely said 'so you can't drive a car properly either then'.

What a stuck up bitch.

As others have said, definately take it to another dealer if you can.

May we ask who the dealer in question is?

Clock garage, Derby.

Definately one to avoid then. Aftersales make or breaks dealers imo and from your experience, it sends out one HUGE message. Avoid!

Good luck mate.

Can I do that? I'm sure in an ideal world I should be able to reject it and get a new car ordered...

However, the motor trade still seems to be in the dark ages when it comes to after sales service and sticking to DTI guidelines!!!:(

If a new car isn't up to the expected standard you can reject it. You don't have to give them a chance to repair the vehicle, but it could end up in court.

The sooner you reject the vehicle in writing and hand the keys back the better. I would definitely speak with the local CAB or trading standards about this.

If a new car isn't up to the expected standard you can reject it. You don't have to give them a chance to repair the vehicle, but it could end up in court.

The sooner you reject the vehicle in writing and hand the keys back the better. I would definitely speak with the local CAB or trading standards about this.

I seem to be posting this link a lot at the moment, sadly...

Honest John : How do I reject a duff car or get compensation for problems with a car I have bought from a dealer?

Then again, perhaps I should look to get on commission!?! :rubchin:

It is rather sad that dealers don't seem to care about their customer long term.

A happy customer will keep buying cars from you even is the price is slightly higher, but an unhappy customer will never come back and if they spread the word will lose you other potential customers too.

the problem is it take time to sort this out. plus the dealer can ask to hold the car for further tests and i dont think thye HAVE to lend a car back to you. so you need to have the gall to stick it out and stand by your guns.

also you do technically have to give them 3 chances to recify the faults, if it goes to court and that hasnt happened, its quite poss they will just rule that the dealer can have a bash at sorting the issues out first.

its just a blooming minefield!

Clock garage, Derby.

When you're looking for an alternative dealer, from my own experience I'd avoid Rainworth (in Mansfield).

Farmers in Nottingham have always given top notch service though.

When I was looking to buy mine, the salesman at Clock couldn't even add the figures up correctly :eek:

Been in the position of trying to reject a car back in 2004.

I didn't have the danglies to go through with it - nor the £10k suggested costs required!! Me vs BMW - I decided to back down. I still regret it now but I couldn't take the chance of losing and the motor trade know this.

Its stacked against the consumer when it comes to cars - totally different, no matter what anyone says, to any other item one purchases in life.

Only go through with it if you can guarantee a win (which you can't, no matter what your solicitor says) or that you have oodles of dosh which you don't mind losing! :(