vRS Estate mods

Hi everyone

Looking for advice about buying a s/h nice, fully serviced but high motorway mileage (120k) first series Octy vRS estate as a second car for miss moatmeister to use everyday and me to play with at weekends. I have no qualms about the car doing the mileage, my diesel SLX estate did 175k and still drove like it was brand new before it got written off, but how do the 1.8T petrol engines cope?

Maybe not the best starting point, would have preferred a silver or red (or even yellow - do any exist??) one with less miles, but the price is right and current economics dictate!

What would people consider to be suitable performance modifications for the car, bearing in mind it is an estate, and will be called upon on occaisions to carry things, and the fact that it has already done a few miles. I would be particularly interested in things that could be transferred to another newer example at a later date. I do have access to workshop facilities.

What are the standard wheel sizes? some seem to have 17" and others 16" alloys of the same design.

Looking forward to receiving your comments!

The earlier estates had 16" wheels but they changed to 17" later. Don't know when though.

There are a whole load of mods that you could do that would be transferrable but you need to find yourself a starting point, which for most is a remap - which isn't transferrable.

Hi everyone

Looking for advice about buying a s/h nice, fully serviced but high motorway mileage (120k) first series Octy vRS estate as a second car for miss moatmeister to use everyday and me to play with at weekends. I have no qualms about the car doing the mileage, my diesel SLX estate did 175k and still drove like it was brand new before it got written off, but how do the 1.8T petrol engines cope?

Maybe not the best starting point, would have preferred a silver or red (or even yellow - do any exist??) one with less miles, but the price is right and current economics dictate!

What would people consider to be suitable performance modifications for the car, bearing in mind it is an estate, and will be called upon on occaisions to carry things, and the fact that it has already done a few miles. I would be particularly interested in things that could be transferred to another newer example at a later date. I do have access to workshop facilities.

What are the standard wheel sizes? some seem to have 17" and others 16" alloys of the same design.

Looking forward to receiving your comments!

I have a mk1 estate and i love it have kept my mods simple ie: arb/map/forge 007p/cai and the estate sits 20mm lower than the hatch as standard,

and i am currently looking for a set of RS6 18S to buy for it as well as new discs and pads i recommend this if your gonna get mapped, as far as i know all mk1 estates came with 16s and yes there are some yellow ones out there but are very rare,all the above mentioned are simple mods to make and in return you will have a very fast good handling motor if your wondering how fast well i had a m3 follow me into the services the other day walked over to me whilst i was filling up and asked me what the hell i was running under the bonnet :confused: i just smiled at him and said " just a skoda lump mate" he was very impressed with the performance of my SKODA :D.

ARB - antiroll bar

MAP - engine management upgrade

007 - dump valve (turbo whooshy thing)

CAI - Cold Air Induction

My 53 plate vRS estate came with 16" wheels as standard, and I like them so much I won't replace them.

The VAG parts bin is a good place to find bolt on upgrades for the vRS - the Audi S3 can provide a strut brace, and the Golf R32 can offer a thicker front ARB.

At the high mileage you're looking it, I'd guess that the car must have seen at least 1 cambelt change and be close to its 2nd. Water pumps, thermostats, coil packs and temperature sender units are all known failure points across the Octavia range, and the vRS is no exception.

Hope this helps :)

Mine is going to be for sale v soon.

It's a red estate on an 03 plate, 54K miles on the clock, recent cambelt change plus new metal impeller water pump.

Othe mods include neuspeed front and rear anti roll bars, armrest, rear parking sensors and cruise.

Will be asking £5500 for it.