Pikey mod #3

Shaun L

Found this on another forum but never seen it mentioned on here. Seems to have made a big inpact on my car and would reconmend it! I allows my car to pull a lot harder though its revs. Its an extra mod onto the bit were the PD160 pipe attachs to the slam pannel bit.

Here you go:

1. Now you will see the part that the trumpet came out of. It is attached to the front of the car with 2 torx bits. (below pic) Undo the screws and take induction funnel out

100_2510.jpg

2. Look down the induction funnel and you will see a flap that is blocking the flow of air. (Pic below) Cut it out with a Stanley knife or something similar. (I heated my stanley knife up! Much easier)

100_2511.jpg

3. And it will look like this.

100_2513.jpg

It has been pointed out that the flap maybe there to deflect stones down. But in my opinion they cant get very far anyway. And the Grill should stop most. SO these steps are your persaonal Choice.

Shaun

I did this, cant say I saw a noticeable difference but I guess it all helps with the bigger intake. I also have a mesh grill so plenty of air gets in. Just used a hack saw blade to cut the sides and a blade to score the top of the cover and it just snapped off.

I think the flap is designed to stop falling snow from getting into the mouth of the intake trumpet and blocking it ...could be wrong though

I thought it was in case the bow wave came over the grille if you were fording deep water... Either way, I suspect it's there for a reason - but I'd be interested to see if the corresponding part on the Ibiza Cupra diesel is different to the one of the Fab! :thumbup:

I thought it was in case the bow wave came over the grille if you were fording deep water... Either way, I suspect it's there for a reason - but I'd be interested to see if the corresponding part on the Ibiza Cupra diesel is different to the one of the Fab! :thumbup:

He is talking about the PD160 pipe off the cupra anyway!.. also have to bear in mind that the intake isnt in direct airflow like it is on the furby.. my thoughts are the flap is there to deflect the majority of road-crap.. flies, stones, water etc etc from being sucked into the airbox and getting your filter dirty quicker..

considering the size of the trumpet anyway, i cant see the flap being restrictive in anyway, therefore theres very little to no benifit doing this on a forced induction car... it would be another matter on a N/A car tho.

He is talking about the PD160 pipe off the cupra anyway!...

:confused: I thought he was talking about the bit in the slam panel that the trumpet of the intake clips into? I'm well aware of the difference between the PD160 trumpet / pipe and the PD130 ones, as I got them in my car! (And a disproportionate hole in my wallet... :P )

He is talking about the PD160 pipe off the cupra anyway!.. also have to bear in mind that the intake isnt in direct airflow like it is on the furby.. my thoughts are the flap is there to deflect the majority of road-crap.. flies, stones, water etc etc from being sucked into the airbox and getting your filter dirty quicker..

considering the size of the trumpet anyway, i cant see the flap being restrictive in anyway, therefore theres very little to no benifit doing this on a forced induction car... it would be another matter on a N/A car tho.

Its the bit that the trumpet attachs to up near the lights and it does seem to block quite a bit of the pipe up. Does let my car pull a lot longer though so would think it would defo help on a remaped VRS

Shaun

Dunno about the "bow wave" statement. The flappy thing is on the top, not the bottom of the hole. :D You can see from the mounting holes for the torx screws/bolts.

So the flap is obstructing a direct "shot" down the intake pipe into the air-filter housing, really.

J.

Dunno about the "bow wave" statement. The flappy thing is on the top, not the bottom of the hole. :D You can see from the mounting holes for the torx screws/bolts.

So the flap is obstructing a direct "shot" down the intake pipe into the air-filter housing, really.

J.

Yes, but if you look at the inlet through the air hole in the slam panel, the air passes through near the top of the inlet, so AIUI, the sticky-out bit acts like a little umbrella so that the water runs off and down through the holes in the bottom. Or that's my take on it anyway...

• 4 weeks later...

With the part with the flap in removed, you can also clean up the intake hole in the valance with your dremmel which has a horrible restrictive lip on it as well.

Once flap is cut off, get as smooth as poss with sand paper.

every little helps