Heater Flap Position Motor

ExAudiSi

Anyone on here changed a Fabia heater flap position motor and if so can you give me some pointers?

The heater on my car is getting more and more difficult to control and I am getting sick of being roasted every time I go out in it. I got a motor from Ebay a while ago, but I have a nasty feeling it may be a dash out job to fit it.

Can you not reset the flap position using VAG-COM? Better for starters than jumping in and changing the motor.

Local dealers tried this about 4 months ago, couldn't find any faults, carried out "basic settings" and it has got progressively worse since.

I recently had this done under warranty by Streets in Bristol (who were excellent).

I had expected them to drop the dash out and had warned them about the phone kit and MP3 player but when I got the car back it looked like nothing had been disturbed.

It could be that they were very careful to put everything back, or they've got a cunning way to do this without taking the dash out...

I had expected them to drop the dash out and had warned them about the phone kit and MP3 player but when I got the car back it looked like nothing had been disturbed.

Me too. It did look like the removed the glovebox but other than that the dashboard looked like it hadnt been touched.

I'm so glad my heater works now. It was in and out the garage for 6 months while they tried to sort it which they did in the end.

Me too. It did look like the removed the glovebox but other than that the dashboard looked like it hadnt been touched.

I'm so glad my heater works now. It was in and out the garage for 6 months while they tried to sort it which they did in the end.

I know from doing this thread that you can get at the recirc / fresh air flap just by taking out the glove compartment - but I don't know where the flaps are for controlling the heater setting...

Ross aka Lummox is probably the man to ask. I seem to remember him saying it can be done without removing the dash - There are two motors so you need to be sure which one you want.

I had the same problem with my Fabia TDI heater. I replaced the heater flap motor (V68) using one of the electronic manuals as a guide (available on ebay).

Didn't need to remove the whole dash but from memory I removed:

Glovebox

Radio

Sliding drawer

Switches for ASR and Heated Seats

Heater Control Unit

Centre Console

+probably some more that I've forgotten

The heater flap motor is located on the passenger side of the centre console at approx (iirc) the same height as the radio/drawer. The motor is a tight fit so removing and refitting is a bit awkward, but the rest of the job is fairly straight forward. With no previous experience, going very slowly and carefully, the whole thing took me about 2-3 hours and was not as bad as I'd thought it would be.

After fitting the new motor and reassembling everything, the motor needs to be calibrated so that the electronics know where the end-stops are. You will need a licenced version of vag-com to do this.

IIRC Costs were:

Vag-com licence approx £50

Vagcom cable approx £15

Heater Flap motor (V68) approx £70

Electronic manual (as used by vag workshops) £5.

It would be interesting to know how much a dealer would charge to do the job.

Good luck!

When mine was done both motors were replaced (V68 & V154) which is the air temerature and recirc motors.

Skoda didn't put a price on the copy invoice which I got but at £75 for the diagnostic plus at least 3 hours at £65/hr + VAT it's going to be £300-£400 I would guess - although the car was immaculate when it came back.

• 3 months later...

Hi Guys

Just got same problem about some strange noise behind the dash.

A dealer told me its the Heater Flap motor and its not really a big problem but if I want to replace it would be around !350.

Honestly, the noise doesnt really bother me that much.. but Im feeling now its getting worse.. my air con doest work as it should and sorry my ignorance.. I wonder if thats the reason I get so much hot air inside when the car gets hot after a few minutes drive.

If possible can someone explain me what are the consequenses if I dont repair it?

..and If I do repair it, this hot air will stop blowing inside the car if the air con is off?

It's not entirely clear from your description whether you're having issues with your flap motors, or whether you have a combination of leaves inside the fan plus a failed evaporator temperature sensor. I did technical guides for the noisy fan and evaporator temperature sensor, but can't give any advice on the flap motors beyond what's dc63's already posted. The noisy fan fix is free (unless you need to buy a set of Torx heads!) and takes about 10 minutes, the sensor fix is about £30 plus an hour of your time. As suggested in other posts, though, the flap motor fix is quite a bit more expensive to DIY, and might be as hard if not harder than the evap temp sensor. Anyway, have a look at the TGs and then decide what you want to do...

Hope this helps! :thumbup:

Thanks apogee the links are with excelent detail. I will try to check what is the problem.

I just got some friend telling me the hot air coming inside while we drive is normal in any car..lol. I guess it always get hot cause the car is hot.. unless you use your air con to make it cold. Im so naive about cars I wouldnt be surprised that its true. :-s

Sorry to jump in on this one but I just discovered a problem with the heater in the wifes vRS today.

When the temp dial is set to 22 (middle position) it gets roasting hot.

It's ice cold when it's set at the coldest point (so air con working ok) and ok up till about 20-22 and then it gets really hot (like it should be at the hot end of the dial).

Does this sound like the flap motor failing?

Good point! As soon as I saw it, one hundred and one posts on resetting the flap motors came flooding back! I hope that the other things I suggested haven't caused the OP too much inconvenience if it turns out that it is the flap motors! (Which it sounds like it probably is :o )