really poor mpg!!!! help!!!

clidgevrs

hi guys and gals have noticed since i had my remap done that my mpg figure is pretty poor around 35mpg at the moment i am not doing short journeys i am properly letting the turbo stop spinning when i stop and i let the car start 10 mins befoe i go anywhere yes its nice to give it some now and again but i have never gone over 4k rpm and always get into sixth gear when i can what could it be? i was hoping it would imporve the figure to be honest

That is pretty poor.

Its winter diesel at the moment which reduces the economy, equally its colder so the engine is over fueling before its up to temperature. However once up to temp the economy should actually increase as the air is more dense.

Why are leaving the car to idle for 10 mins before driving off?

Who done your remap? Might be worth seeing if people with the same map have the same problem

However once up to temp the economy should actually increase as the air is more dense.

That only works on the principle that the MAF detects the denser air and ups the fuelling accordingly, therefore providing extra power. As such, if you drove EXACTLY the same way as you did in the warm (in particular not accelerating any harder), then you ought to use a bit less fuel overall because the engine works that little bit less hard. If you're like me though, you sub-consciously use the cold air as a bit of an oxygen boost, and so end up driving even faster than usual - hence I'm down to about 42-43mpg (mostly motorway) when I was getting 46-47mpg in the Summer... :doh:

...iand i let the car start 10 mins befoe i go anywhere yes its nice to give it some now and again but i have never gone over 4k rpm...

Running the car like this will do nothing to help fuel consumption, and arguably is doing the engine no good either, so my first suggestion is to start your car and drive to where-ever you need to go.

I don't know who did the remap and what parameters your ECU has now, but taking a diesel this high up the revs won't help fuel consumption either. I would imagine that max power is delivered somewhere between 1.5k and 3.0k revs, so I would suggest that if change up somewhere in that range you will also help the fuel consumption. This is especially true until your engine reaches "normal" operating temperature (around 90C with temperature needle vertically).

My car delivers in or around 180 bhp and I currently show 50-ish mpg on spirited driving on crappy roads.

I agree with other posts above. Hope this helps your fuel bill!

I'm getting around 44mpg with mixed driving in winter and around 46-47mpg in summer.

I have noticed that sometimes it's more economical to use a lower gear than you might think to get better mpg.

On my Jabba remapped vRS, I get better mpg cruising at 90 (km/h ;)) than at 70!

I use 5th mostly now instead of 6th until I'm at least above 60 when cruising.

Set your mpg computer to realtime and cruise on a straight flat road in 6th at around 40-60mph then change gear at same speed to 5th, you might be surprised with the results as I was...

mines been around 29 ish lately lol so dont worry ;)

but i do give mine a bit of stick - especially since my remap.

but saying that i was also getting 50mpg the other day on a long trip - driving steadily.

hi everyone thank you very much for your informative answers i have never had a diesel car before let alone a tdi with this much power so i think i have got to adjust from thinking you had to rev the engine to get anywhere.. i did read on here that the clutch can be worn out if you labour the engine to much or excelleraate in high gears but with the torque it seems strange you have to do this!!! lol

hi everyone thank you very much for your informative answers i have never had a diesel car before let alone a tdi with this much power so i think i have got to adjust from thinking you had to rev the engine to get anywhere.. i did read on here that the clutch can be worn out if you labour the engine to much or excelleraate in high gears but with the torque it seems strange you have to do this!!! lol

I seldom drive mine at less than 2000rpm to be honest (i.e. on-boost all the time), and the mpg still seems OK. I feel the car is extremely gutless off-boost, so the sort of accelerating-from-1200rpm-in-6th-gear driving that wrecks the flywheel isn't a concern for me. The remap will help you rev right up to the red line, and although the torque drops away below 2500rpm or so, the power output is a function of revs and torque, so it still pays to keep the revs up when you want to make rapid progress! There's lots of debate on here about how 'fast' the Fabia vRS actually 'is', but I think most are agreed that the rapid bursts of acceleration that the diesel engine can provide, plus the fact you don't need to rev it like a moped to go fast, makes it a very entertaining drive all-round! :thumbup: