adjust glow plugs

edwardob

i tried but not seem to work or do anything.....it seem vag com is limited with pd engines...only seem to able to adjust a chime or whistle here and there with it..and of course fault codes...which can also be done with the ebay verions

It's not VAG-COM which is limited, but rather the instructions not fitting your particular engine. What exactly are you trying to accomplish and why? What's your engine code (if possible also state ECU part number and software version)?

One does not alter settings without a real need, especially not in the area of the Engine Control Unit. There are known issues with glow system related components, especially the glow plug relay. What I'm trying to say is, one should find the cause of the problem and not try to cover the effects by altering settings.

The instructions you refer to are meant for EDC15 (and some older) control units, yours is an EDC16 which uses different channels to accomplish such things. Specifically the adaptation channel 12 is used for Diesel Particle Filter Ash Mass Adaptation on these new ones, while it was used for the Glow Time on the old ones.

In terms of control module hardware/software versions lets explain that by using an example...

open-controller.png

...in this case the control module part number is 06A-906-032-CL and it's software version is V004. Makes sense?

if one wants to change anything..that is one's own issue..

back to the question......can it be done?

if vag com doe'nt work on a particular engine then it's limited .....so far i have'nt been able to do what i wanted to do......change egr setting...glow plugs...

maybe i don't know codes...etc ..but that also makes it limited since these codes seem to be exclusive to some.

if one wants to change anything..that is one's own issue..

back to the question......can it be done?

if vag com doe'nt work on a particular engine then it's limited .....so far i have'nt been able to do what i wanted to do......change egr setting...glow plugs...

maybe i don't know codes...etc ..but that also makes it limited since these codes seem to be exclusive to some.

In case you hadn't realised Sebastian is a member of the Ross-Tech (VAG-COM) team and is trying to help you. What he needs to be able to help you is the correct information so as not to mis-inform you and cause damage to your car.

Just because VAG-COM may not be able to do something that you wish doesn't mean it's limited, it might just not be possible to carry out the operation that you require - that might be a limitation of your car for instance.

Edward,

please take the time and read my above post and the ones I made in your recent topic ob the EGR adjustment. The limitation is not the diagnostic tool but rather the Engine Control Unit (ECU) software. VW/Audi/Seat/Skoda don't want anybody to alter this anymore and under normal circumstances there is absolutely no need to do so even when the individual sees a need.

We are really trying to help you, which is why I asked for the background of your question but since you didn't answer my questions this is becoming quite hard for us. This is NOT a question of having codes or whatever, it's that way because VW/Audi/Seat/Skoda don't want it to be done and because there is no need to alter these settings in a normal cars life. Again, neither VAG-COM nor the VAS-505x (dealer tools) can do what you want the way you want it to be done, so the limitation is clearly on the side of the car.

Anyway, we're not here to accuse anybody of whatever so let's get back to where we were.

I went through some of our resources again and I may have found what you were looking for. In case of the EDC16 channel 008 is responsible for the Coolant Temperature Calibration which should allow you alter the glow time setting. Now, you should seriously be aware that altering this may void your warranty and may also cause inappropriate results in terms of starting and driving behavior - in other words your risk, your fun.

We do not like people playing with these adaptation channels because they are usually undocumented and not used in the typical customer service situation by a mechanic. We have seen enough customers yet who wanted to play, they were advised it's on their own risk and we have had cases where a new ECU was needed because somebody did not follow our suggestions and altered the speed limiter setting. Just an example but I hope you get the point.

Regarding your ECU software version, that one seems to be up to date and as far as we are aware Skoda has not published a newer version for the BKC yet.

BTW: We have published an updated beta version yesterday which comes with more detailed documentation for your engine control module. Hope that's of help.

Ross-Tech: VAG-COM: Beta 711

P.S.: Thanks Stu. :)

my original statement...".it seem vag com is" limited with pd engines"..so if it's not possible do stuff to pd's...except fault codes then ebay is the place to go!...for a pd!

if it's possible to do something else...pray tell me what it is i can do...????it's been quite a painfull experience trying to find out what can be done....since answer is usually in the form of a question!!..ie why do you want do that?what's the problem?

does there have to be a problem...or reason??

maybe i just want to know what i can do...how i can do it....probalbly i won't do it anyway!

it's like trying to get into a secret society!!

my original statement...".it seem vag com is" limited with pd engines"..so if it's not possible do stuff to pd's...except fault codes then ebay is the place to go!...for a pd!!

It seems to me a few things here are limited, firstly is your knowledge of the product VAG-COM, secondly is your understanding of what VAG-COM can do (It's not just about making tweaks), thirdly is your patience and fourthly but probably not finally is your manners.

You are recieving a lot of help from Sebastian here, and as far as I can see all in good faith. Ask yourself if you had a Ford/Vauxhall or similar could you go and buy such a comprehensive tool as VAG-COM and recieve the help and support you are getting from Ross-Tech. There is a simple answer to that and you don't need me to tell you. If you owned something else you'd be a mushroom in the dark and be being fobbed off by service departments who didn't have a clue what you were talking about.

first two are right..knowledge and uderstanding......my patience in this case is certainly

questionable.........mainly because i have a tool which requires a lot of searching to find out..altough the new beta version does have more info....how to use it and all the modules within

as for manners ..well i said nothing rude

as for manners ..well i said nothing rude

It is difficult to convey sentiment in an internet forum but some of your answers to the questions which were asked in order to best help you seem a little short.

economy of words is usually associated with genius!!although in my case it's lack of vocabulary!!!!

all i want is intimate knowledge of my vag com and my car..great for the pub..and maybe a little tweak here and there along with repairs

i checked that channel 008 and you seem to be right...they only thing is the values seem to be single digit numbers....completely different from the way it was been done on other cars....

would the numbering system be different also?

One of the problems with these channels is that they are not officially documented which means that even knowing their description is kinda hard and it's often harder to know what values to put in. Normally what you do is the same as described in the known instructions, except I'd suggest a value range 0-100.

One of the problems with these channels is that they are not officially documented which means that even knowing their description is kinda hard and it's often harder to know what values to put in. Normally what you do is the same as described in the known instructions, except I'd suggest a value range 0-100.

thanks i'll try that and see