Sunroof Is Posessed!

Hi all,

Bit of a weird one,

Got an Octy 1 tdi elegance, 2002.

The electric sunroof randomly opens to the first setting then recloses after a moment, and occasionally tilts to the same effect.

It seems to be about 20 or so mins into any journey, and though initially hilarious to my other half is a little bit on the annoying side in rain!!!!!

:confused:

Any ideas because I couldn't find anything like it on the forums and the garage were clueless?!?!?!?!

I've checked + cleaned the switch contacts and seem fine - new switch job? (they're £52 just for the switch!!)

Cheers

Tim

Does sound a bit like dodgy wiring / switch or sensor. A trip to a scrappy might find a switch for a few pennies instead.

If you disconnect the switch does the problem still exist - I realise it might take a few days to determine this if your journeys are not long enough.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Sorry about the wait - Only just got my car back after 3 1/2 WEEKS! Skimmed head, new water pump, new cam belt etc - same old, but at just 60k, and took weeks!!! anywhoo, ive said my piece to the garage, mechanic now gone and cost nowt in the end, oh and i got a new centre armrest too!!!:thumbup:

Ok, so, tried some of your suggestions - disconnected - ignition back on and the sunroof thought it was at a rave!!!!

Took a while to stop it at closed but got it there manually in the end, and reconnected the switch (I know, its a potentiometer, but switch is just easier) and back to the old randomness, and BTW, it was ****ing it down in leeds yesterday!!!!

Ive been over the seals with a fine tooth comb, all good, and had the jetwash aimed at the roof while I sat inside, and not a spot of water to be found (and yes, people were looking at me a bit funny when i said there wasn't enough rain in Doncaster)

I'm going to the scrappy tomorrow to see if I can scab a new switch to see if its just plain old worn out.

In the meantime, any ideas guys (preferably that don't mean me getting mocked by my neighbours!!!:P)

Cheers!

pull the fuse out that controls the sunroof?

I might resort to that while I find a new switch, 1 prob tho - will it not kill all sorts of other features?

- Car manufacturers like to save a tuppence if they can share a fuse - my clio was hell back in the day - take out a radio fuse and the wipers stopped!

Anyone know if this is the case - can't find it on forums!

Thanks