Broken Cigarette Lighter - not under warranty?

SeanP

The cigarette lighter / accessory socket recently stopped working on our 54 plate Octy... As we were chatting to the dealer about the forthcoming 3rd anniversary / MOT we mentioned this to them, expecting a 'warranty' fix...

They strived to point out that as we'd been using the socket for 'accessories' rather than as a cigarette lighter (neither of us smoke, but we do have SatNav), it wouldn't be covered under Warranty...

WTF, I thought -- and even checked the manual, which clearly states it's intended use is for accessories.

Anyhow, meantime I checked the fuse and indeed that's all that's wrong -- But had it been otherwise, surly the dealer's winding us up?

It seems short sighted and 'jobs worth' on your dealer's part. I would have expected it to be covered.

Wouldn't it have been an idea to check the fuse first though. You would have found the fault, not spoken to your dealer, not got the silly answer and we would all be none the wiser.

This is precisely the fault on my 07 L&K. I wondered why my phone wasn't charging and so I popped the cig lighter in and down it stayed. The handbook refers to some spare fuses being supplied with the car, so I hope that's right.

The handbook refers to some spare fuses being supplied with the car, so I hope that's right.

Ah -- was about to buy a set of spares from Halfrauds today -- I couldn't see any in the driver-side fuse box, anybody know where they're located? (Will check engine comparetment tonight).

Wouldn't it have been an idea to check the fuse first though.

Well, I would've had Wifey told me sooner it wasn't working -- for it was she who had already spoken to the dealer ;-)

Wouldn't this be more to do with it being under Dealer Warranty rather than manufacturer warranty. the first year of warranty with the latter and the remaining 2 with the former. Less stuff being covered by the dealer warranty (mechanicals only) not including electrics..