Toyota Auris

Goochie

We've been looking around today at cars to replace my wife's ageing Corsa. First on the list of possibles is the Toyota Auris.

Handily they're offering a 24hr test drive at the mometn so we came away with one to play with until tomorrow.

Good points so far:

It is very spacious inside, both front and rear passengers get ample head room and there is no noticable bump in the floor for the middle rear passenger to contend with. The boot is a good size as well.

The engine in the demo car is a 1.6 petrol that is so quiet I thought I'd stalled it a few times, sat at traffic lights you have to make an effort to hear the engine running as there is only a faint exhaust noise and no vibration at all.

Bad points:

It really is very ugly from the outside! The brochure makes it look reasonable but in the metal it just looks like a blobby mess at the front.

There are a pair of arrows on the dash that flash when the car thinks you should change gear (one points up, the other points down). They're not just before the redline either, they're based on what the ECU thinks would be the most economical thing to do.

The dash is nice to look at but the binnacle thing for the gear stick is clad in very cheap feeling plastic that moves about very easily - cant help think this will be a source of many annoying creaks in the future.

The hand brake handle and button look like something made by Fischer Price.

When reversing, it sounds like someone drained the gearbox oil :eek:

Overall

So far it seems like it could make a good family car, if you can ignore the way it looks then you could be persuaded by the cavernous interior and super silent engine.

I actually quite like it, but I suspect that could change when we try a C-Max and Golf Plus tomorrow.

A friend of mine has got a 2.0D TR. A bit of a change from the MINI Cooper he had.

Its nice enough but I prefer the looks and interior of my mazda, obviously. I really don't like the way that windscreen feels so faaaaaaaaaaaaaar away from you. Wouldn't say no to having a 2.0D though. Not driven it but as a passenger, it pulls well. He says its a little dull to drive and like an understeering bouncy castle compared to the MINI.

EDIT: just re-read that and it sounds so negative! So...

He's very happy with it, needed diesel for a longer commute and for the money it seems great - seemed cheap for a 2.0 diesel when he got it. So far no problems and hopefully it'll age like all toyotas are be supremely reliable.

I quite like the Auris. A friend of mine is a Toyota master tech and he speaks highly of them (I've known him since school, and he has no reason to try and sell me one before you say it! :P ). I keep meaning to go and have a look.

Save the cash and get a standard Golf...... the only advantage you could get from a Golf + is if your 7ft tall..... no real extra room apart from head space

Not quite correct. The Plus has (a) sliding rear seats to allow you to trade rear legroom for longer boot space, (B) height adjustable boot floor, and © extra roof height over the boot. Together they make quite a bit of difference.

Not quite correct. The Plus has (a) sliding rear seats to allow you to trade rear legroom for longer boot space, (B) height adjustable boot floor, and © extra roof height over the boot. Together they make quite a bit of difference.

But what's the point? If you want that kind of flexability just buy a Touran!

I looked at the Auris when looking around for a replacement car for my mum but was'nt overly impressed tbh. Don't laugh, but I actually quite like the Kia Ceed :o, deffinately worth a look at imho although ma took the safe option and bought a Golf :rolleyes:.

But what's the point? If you want that kind of flexability just buy a Touran!

So you agree - the Golf Plus is more flexible and has extra space when required.

The Touran is a much bigger car in a different class altogether, and doesn't drive like a Golf.

The Auris is a right ugly pug of a car built to a low budget.

You hardly see them on the road either. Says alot seeing as it was supposed to be the high volume model for Toyota.

Get the Golf plus......................Or a Roomster Scout TDI :rolleyes:

I'd have the Roomy over the 'Arris' any day.

So you agree - the Golf Plus is more flexible and has extra space when required.

The Touran is a much bigger car in a different class altogether, and doesn't drive like a Golf.

The Touran is built on the Golf Platform, no real differences in handling (GTI's aside). My Dad has one, I drive a Golf and whenever it's service time both of us are given a Golf+ as the standard curtosey car...

Yes the Plus has a few little extra cubbey holes etc... but I wouldn't say that its that greatly ahead in the 'being more flexible' stakes - essentialy its a Golf which has an extra 6 inches added in its height

• 2 weeks later...

have to agree dstev they are an ugly car! after saying that ive just bought one.its far superiour to my fabia vrs which is positively a tractor in noise terms and rattles and creeks like a 10 year old motor! i bought the 2.0d4d and it runs very well for not alot of money,we traded a golf for it which was the worst most unreliable car ive ever owned.