Amber steering warning light

New Octavia Amber steering warning light stays on after first switch on on a cold morning. Fault code shows Steering gearbox ,been reset now five times but comes back on first cold morning. Steering seems perfectly normal to me. Any ideas?

Could be a problem with the steering angle sensor. The light will go out, once it gets enough info to re-calibrate itself. It shouldnt stay on as soon as the car is started, it should go out with all the other lights.

turn steering wheel all the way right (from straight/centre position), then all the way left, then back to centre and see if that helps, i was told this works by the guy who did my dashpod and saves having to go into it with vagcom.

Orange means partial failure but steering will behave as normal, red means failure you will have heavy steering.

Not always. If the steering limit adaptation hasn't been done after basic setting, the light stays amber and there's no steering assist.

turn steering wheel all the way right (from straight/centre position), then all the way left, then back to centre and see if that helps, i was told this works by the guy who did my dashpod and saves having to go into it with vagcom.

Actually, first center the steering, then fully left, then fully right, and then center the steering again. The light goes out as soon as you get in range of +-10 degrees from the center position. But this only works if the basic setting for the steering assist is done and it waits for the steering limit adaptation.

On Ross-Tech's WIKI there's a small error in the instructions for centering the steering after adjustment.

After doing the basic setting and car engine still running, you have to turn the ignition off and then start the car again and only after then you can do the steering limit adaptation. If you do it straight after the basic setting without turning the ignition off, it doesn't register the adaptation and a fault code for "no basic setting done" appears on steering assist module.

And it probably is not a G85 sensor fault on your case, as if it was, then the ESP light would stay on and you'd lose all the ESP functionality.