torque band vrs tdi

just want to find out were you change up.I read on here that you should change up around 3000 rpm to stay in the torque band,but saying that I feel the pull trails off around 4200rpm.Im coming from a mk1 vrs so I'm learning how to drive a tdi properly buy not revving its nuts off,also does anyone know why the increments change half way through the speedometer from 20mph-10mph?

The speedo is probably like that to give better accuracy at lower speeds where it counts more. At 80+ the odd 5mph doesn't count for much.

As for the torque band, drive the car how you feel comfortable with it. Diesels are designed for cruising at low revs so keep the gear as high as possible without making the engine labour too much.

There isn't much puff left after 4000rpm on a standard map diesel. On my 140 I find the optimum rev range is 2500-3000 but that will be different on the 170. You'll eventually learn how to get the best from the engine as you get to know it.

It will also improve as it runs in so expect a steady improvement well beyond 10,000 miles.

You have usable torque and power from 1,800rpm to 4,500rpm and IMHO it doesn't really matter when you change up as you will always have a lovely tsunami of torque to fall back into.

The ratios on the gearbox are beautifully spaced in proper close-ratio fashion, so 2nd to 3rd is a drop of about 1,200 rpm and each upchange is then progressively shorter with 5th to 6th being about 600 rpm IIRC.

My change-up point guide would be, depending on your driving mood;

2,500rpm - lazy :)

3,000 rpm - normal :thumbup:

4,000 - 4,250 rpm - true brskodian! :D :eek: :cool:

I have the leon FR with the same 170 tdi engine,

This car seems to pull at much higher revs than your average diesel and believe me i have driven plenty.

My car is also remapped to produce just over 200 BHP and when "pressing on" i dont change up untill around 4000 RPM.

I rarely rev mine as high as 3000rpm, even with the caravan on.

I would say I tend to stick to around 2000-2500 revs but can't say for sure, will pay more attention from now on!

What's the point in having a 'performance' diesel that will sweetly go to 4,500rpm and then not use it? :confused:

Just remembered I had this link loafing around on another thread;- http://www.superchips.co.uk/curves/vag20tdi170.pdf

People forget the peak BHP on a derv is quite high up the rev range.

And not ever revving a diesel to it's upper limits on occasions is just asking for trouble. Giving the engine a blast when fully warmed up is a good thing :thumbup: