1.6 to 1.8t conversion

Hello!,

There's a local shop that says that they can make my 1.6 into a 1.8t for a fair ammount of cash. My question is, what are the differences between this two engines appart from the displacement and the fact that one of them is turbo and the other is not.

I'm not very convinced about what the shop told me but i'd like to hear the opinion of someone that has experience modding the VAG engines.

they are completely different engines.

it won't be cheap to do the conversion as you will need the ecu, loom, engine, gearbox(possibly), driveshafts(possibly), exhaust, downpipe, turbo, inlet pipes, maf, intercooler etc etc not to mention the higher insurance for driving a modified car and the fact that the brakes and suspension might be different.

would be cheaper adn easier to just buy a 1.8T octavia as they aren't that expensive now at all.

I know it'll be better to buy the entire car, but 1.8t 4x4 octavias are very very rare here in my country. i have only seen one and the guy asks too much for it. And i'm thinking of turning my car into my new project.

I've been looking around for front cuts of jetta VR6 or 1.8t. but by the mean time i've been upgrading some other components such as suspension and brakes.

Jejejeje, i already have experience on this kind of job. i have another proyect with my brother. he has a Mazda 121 DB "Bubble" we took out the little 1.1L Mazda engine in favor of a 4EFTE starlet engine along with a new racing clutch, greedy intercooler, Mazda 323 turbo, front discs and pads, etc.

Because it was our first proyect the budget we had back then was maxed out due to many things that we didnt take into account, but it worth it. it is a very very fast little car.

What is the cheapest you can get a 1.8t Octy for?

I'm thinking of buying one for the Scumball rally (if I can find one cheap enough), thrashing the nuts off it, then ripping the engine out and putting it in a MK2 Golf!

Hence I dont care what condition it's in cosmeticaly, or if it's been pranged, so long as it's mechanically sound!

they are completely different engines.

it won't be cheap to do the conversion as you will need the ecu, loom, engine, gearbox(possibly), driveshafts(possibly), exhaust, downpipe, turbo, inlet pipes, maf, intercooler etc etc not to mention the higher insurance for driving a modified car and the fact that the brakes and suspension might be different.

would be cheaper adn easier to just buy a 1.8T octavia as they aren't that expensive now at all.

All this including the possibly items, plus a rear beam, front wishbones, front hubs, full set of brakes, springs, dampers, and a new set of wheels and tyres (needs at least 16s, maybe 17s to fit over the vRS 312mm front discs).

in that case its easy, simply bolt the turbo to your 1.6 as they use the same manifolds etc and its the same engine with sleeves in it to lower the displacement.

the standard ecu will also be fien.

HTH

Actually, if the 1.6 is a sleeved or linered down engine, then a 1.6 to 1.8 8V conversion should be fairly easy. The hard part would seem to be removing the sleeves, and sourcing any new ones that might be required.

Of course the 1.8T has a majorly different (20V) head.

Actually, if the 1.6 is a sleeved or linered down engine, then a 1.6 to 1.8 8V conversion should be fairly easy. The hard part would seem to be removing the sleeves, and sourcing any new ones that might be required.

Of course the 1.8T has a majorly different (20V) head.

erm........................................................;)