Snow chains for vRS

Bodge

Driving to Austria soon and I'm trying to put a list of things i'll need together.

Top of the list is snow chains, as i have an often icy/snowy mountain road to drive up. Can you even get chains for a vRS? If not should i get some full on winter tyres? Or should I leave the car at the bottom and get the lift up?!

I've driven up there in a Suzuki Grand Vitara and even an Opel Corsa when its been bad, but I get the feeling that the vRS isn't all that capable in adverse conditions! Someone please tell me I'm wrong!

Oh, and has anyone ever driven with 4 people in the car, with the nearside rear seat folded down (for stashing skis etc)? The person on the middle seat obviously gets the short straw!

Cheers :snowman:

Hi Bodge,

I'm no expert on winter driving (even if we get a touch of snow now and then here in SW Sweden). But I would never go to Austria (or north Sweden) in winter without proper winter tyres, preferably studded. Don't know about your current tyre dimension, but wide tyres are awful on loose snow/sleet. I would choose 175/65 - 14" or something like that.

I've never used snow chains. Something of a last straw, I guess, and if I've understood it correct it's only mandatory on certain roads and under certain conditions. If you get them I suggest that you get familiar with them so that you know how to mount them when needed (without gloves in a blizzard and pitch dark :D )

A high visibility vest in your boot is mandatory. A foldable snow shovel might come in handy.

I would not stow the skis inside the car, sounds very uncomfortable. Do you have roof railings? In that case I would mount roof bars and put the skis there.

cheers for the feedback guys.

since its a 2000mile round trip, excluding driving in the UK, im gonna stick to my road tyres. for safety and fuel economy.

ill try and track down some chains, or similar.

my idea behind putting the skis in the car was that roof boxes effect fuel economy and i also like to boot it on the autobahns and the extra drag is annoying. but i agree it will be uncomfortable without, so i might get some sleek rails.

I have no other advice if you go to wish you a safe journey!

Cheers bud!

Found something that might help me out of a slippery spot...

AutoSock/Auto Sock.The Textile wheel cover for Driving in Ice and Snow.Auto Socks get you Home!

Dont think the vRS will take conventional chains due to clearances. But these sock jobbers would be ideal.

I'll just use a bit if British grit and carry the bugger up if i have to! As islanders i feel we have a natural ability to always pull it out of the bag at the last minute! Bat on squire.... :fence3d:

Although I have never used these socks on tyres, I have seen these in action, and was very impressed by them.

Plus they take up less space and weigh less and are easier to use than chains are.........

It is officially not allowed to drive in Germany with tyres that do not properly match the weather conditions you drive in. You should have winter tyres in snowy conditions. If you are engaged in an accident in snowy conditions driving without wintertyres you're in trouble even if you did nothing wrong. You can also be fined caugt driving with improper tyres.

Therefore crossing Germany in the wintertime without wintertyres will be a risk, since you can't predict the conditions you will meet there.

It is officially not allowed to drive in Germany with tyres that do not properly match the weather conditions you drive in. You should have winter tyres in snowy conditions. If you are engaged in an accident in snowy conditions driving without wintertyres you're in trouble even if you did nothing wrong. You can also be fined caugt driving with improper tyres.

Therefore crossing Germany in the wintertime without wintertyres will be a risk, since you can't predict the conditions you will meet there.

So basically I need quick release hubs, and a support crew with a set of tyres to match every condition I come across while in Germany or I'll get in trouble! :D Bah

This is almost as stupid as the new Austrian regulation of having your headlights on all day, every day. Fools. I thought we were supposed to be saving energy.....

I'll just drive on my normal totally legal all season tyres thanks, and just alter my driving style to accomodate the conditions like a normal person would. Thanks for the heads up anyway, even though I'll be ignoring it!

I'm getting some of the socks for the mountain roads just incase.

Anyway, if Germany was as efficient as we are all led to believe, then they would grit/clear the roads for bad conditions. But then again, Germany thinks cats eyes arn't useful on a motorway when its raining hard at night, and you suddenly cant see the road! Very efficient.:confused:

Forgive me if I sound patronising, it's not my intention, and I've noticed that you've been to Austria before. but your last post sounds a bit naive.

I think you find rules corresponding with the German ones in most countries where a lot of snow can be expected: Norway, Sweden, Finland, Switzerland and so on. And for a reason! Even here in south Sweden we can have snow storms blocking all but the M routes so that you'll need continous track vehicles to get anywhere.

Clearing the roads... well, it is done, as quick as possible, but if there's a sudden snow storm it will take some time till all roads are cleared, no matter how many machines you have. Strong wind constantly creates new drifts. And cars that's got stuck (yours, maybe) can block the road so that the snow plough cannot pass...

Quick release hubs, bah - just get proper winter tyres, they'll serve you for the whole journey. And if you go to Austria regularly you can use them next winter, and next...

Of course, as long as it's an informed decision you are free to take any risk you want - as long as you are the only one involved. But you have mates or family in your car, and there are others on the road too.

So basically I need quick release hubs, and a support crew with a set of tyres to match every condition I come across while in Germany or I'll get in trouble! :D Bah

Not really - you need appropriate tyres to match the seasonal conditions and legal requirements in the countries you intend driving in. Keep it simple, keep it safe; happy motoring and holidaying