TDI 100 fuel consumption

I think that the "face lift" mark 1 Fabia 1.9tdi seems to have significantly poorer fuel consumption than the earlier ones. I can never get more than about 52mpg over a tankful whereas people with older ones seem to approach the sort of figures i got from my sdi, over 60mpg. Does anyone know why?

Depends on lots of factors here:

1. How do you drive? do you use the power a lot? the turbo will take care of lots of fuel.

2. what is the outside temperature? cold weather will reduce your MPG

3. Are you basing your figures on town driving? an even throttle at a constant speed will significatly increase the miles you will get to the gallon.

4. What size wheels and tyres? MPG will be affected by running larger wheels and tyres than, say, 14" as opposed to 18". The larger the size, the less MPG

Like cam777 says, there are so many variables - it's impossible to make comparisons.

My 2001 PD100 has consistently averaged around 48mpg (calculated) in the 3 years I've owned it. I know the car is capable of more but given the type of driving I do, I'm more than happy with what I get.

The car has now done 25k miles. The last 400 miles was a mixture of motorway cruising, 70-80mph and easy rural driving. Worked out at 52mpg. Admittedly the weather was cold and sometimes snowy. I think I might try that Millers additive discussed here.

By the way, I had the egr valve gasket changed by the dealer and I think it has improved the stutter a bit, but still noticeable sometimes when warming up. The garage also flushed the engine at the same time and that made a noticeable difference - revs much more easily.

My 2001 Fabia TDI used to return 50mpg on the nose irrespective of how I drove it. My SWMBO at the time drove it twice and both times averaged over 70mpg over the course of a couple of hours driving, however, I'm not sure we went over 60mph!

Winter months always affect fuel economy anyway as there's more load from lights, heated windows/mirrors, etc and the colder, denser air means more fuel is being injected. See how it goes in the warmer months :D

Chris

if it has Euro4 emissions , these engines do tend to use a bit more fuel

Yup, have a read about how high levels of EGR affect mpg and power.

It basically reduces combustion temps meaning not all the fuel gets burnt.

Get VAG-com slapped on it and turn the valve down, or do the EGR valve modification.

56 Reg TDi 1.9

I drive almost entirely on the motorway (hard shoulder sometime thanks to the car pulling left)

I do a 50 mile run there, 50 mile run back. I sit at 65MPH and average 57.5 MPG