Oil In Water

Hi all. Ocy 110 tdi losing water no visable leaks with some light whisps of oil on water surface. Head gasket was changed.

New turbo was fitted due to leak from bearing housing but when removed there was alot of movment in compressor shaft, the car had covered 199000 miles.

The car has now done approx 600 miles since head gasket was changed. (The car is a taxi and this mileage was covered over 2 nights).

The car is still loseing water but not as much (half a litre over 400 miles instead of nearly 2 litres for roughly the same mileage.

There is more oil in water now, bypassed oil cooler cleaned out water system run car still used some water maybe air lock due to draining but water seemed a bit cleaner.

Reconnected oil cooler run it for about half hour and there seemed to be more oil in water.

The oil on dipstick is as should be but creamy on filler cap (but could be condensation due to head been cleaned and washed?)

Are coolers prone to leak, iv'e been quoted £110 inc vat for cooler but I don't want to spend out on cooler to find it could be something like a cracked head.

Any ideas welcome.

Thanks Keith.

Any ideas welcome

Were the head and block checked to ensure they were plane when the gasket was changed? If not, then I'd suspect the head gasket still, or the oil cooler as you hint.

With the car being taxied, I think we can rule out condensation!

Oil will always be in the system no matter how much you flush it.Maybe just residue left and the coolant system may have a slight airlock so will need a top up often until settled.Just my thoughts.

I have had a previous experience before when a new head was put on a Golf diesel.They forgot to clean the head bolt holes in the block they were full of oil so when they tightened the head down and started the engine the head bolts hydraulicked in the oil in stud holes and split the block into a water way.But i doubt for one minute that you have this.(i hope you understood how i explained it).

Thanks guys, i know about the bolt holes having oil in them. Not good:eek:

Spent the day cleaning out the water system,

(there is a very long story to do with the head gasket blowing the week before christmas and a dodgy garage that recond after the gasket was replaced it was possible that there was a crack in a bore and basically made out that they fitted a recon engine. Dunno how they done it though been as its still the old engine in the car and its never been out the car :mad: good job i'm not engine iliterate, still thats sorted but the car isn't.)

So as far as i am aware the head was skimmed but for some reason was not pressure tested.

Anyhow i have bypassed the oil cooler the water is clean, had the car running a good 45 mins to make sure no airlocks, the hose from the thermostate did not get warm but temp gauge read 90 and heater was hot so i have removed thermostate and will run it tonight and reconnect cooler tomorrow some time.

Strangley after romoving themostate the engine dosn't seem to be breathing as heavy when you remove the oil filler and no oil splashes out at tickover wear as it would usually throw a bit out.:confused: maybe its me.

Will post again when i no more.

Cheers Keith.

350 mile covered tuesday night, cooler bypassed thermostate removed.

Water clean as you could expect and no water loss.

(I forgot to mention that on Friday last when it was loseing water and putting oil in the water I was told to use a leak stopper called K-Seal which seams to have done the trick. It permenantley repaires cracked blocks heads head gaskets core plugs rads etc.)

Wednesday reconnected oil cooler drove around a few mile water still clean so flushed system again and used a 2 part cleaner with oil cool connected.

295 mile covered Wednesday night system still clean and not lost any water so to day it will be new thermostate and see how she goes.