Fabia Stalling at low revs - will this fix it?

Diplo

Hi :wavey: I hope one of you experts can advise me....

I've a W-Reg (2000) Fabia 1.4 Comfort that has generally served me well and only done around 46,000 miles. However, in the last 6 months or so it has been regularly stalling at low revs - and it seems to be happening more often now. It's hard to predict when this will happen - some days it's fine, other days it will stall twice in a short journey. This invariably happens when slowing down at the lights etc. after depressing the clutch. Other times you can see that the rev counter, when idling, is wavering around and often dipping right down below 700 RPM.

When the engine does stall it always restarts first time (I've never had a problem starting the engine, even in cold weather). Usually the battery light comes on at this point (though the battery is fine). Sometimes (but not always) the oil light will also illuminate after stalling and it will emit a high-pitched warning noise. However, this goes away after restarting the engine and the oil levels look fine. I'm worried this will get worse and that it might start stalling at higher speeds, which could be dangerous.

Anyway, today I took it down to an official Skoda dealership where they ran some computer diagnostics on it. The diagnostics highlighted two potential problems:

1. Fault with the ECU - they think it needs replacing (£368 inc VAT)
  2. Exhaust manifold gasket needs replacing (£94 + VAT)

Obviously, though, there is no guarantee that fixing these would actually solve the stalling problem. So, I guess my questions are:

Do people think that it's likely that either or both of these faults is the likely culprit with regard to the stalling?

Or is there something else I should try first?

And do the prices I've been quoted seem about right (bare in mind this is an official dealer)?

I don't want to shell out loads of dosh and it not fix the problem. Any advice gratefully received! Thanks.

Hi and welcome. I can't really help, being only an owner whose expertise is in knitting, so hopefuly someone more knowledgeable will come along :)

I have a Y-reg and have heard of lots of things that need replacing (and had a few done myself) but I've not heard of any peeps with 1.4's needing a new ECU. I wonder if you should ask for a second opinion elsewhere, thinking that the ECU will identify a fault but wouldn't remedy it (as far as I know), so not sure how that would cure your fault, though I know nothing.

For £368, I'd want an assurance that it would actually cure the fault. If they can't give that assurance, perhaps they should do more investigation, or at least tell you what they've discounted (i.e. what it can't be, e.g. one of those lovely sensors that go wrong quite often, fuel feed etc).

Regards

Mo

Thanks, heresmo, I appreciate you taking the time to reply. Unfortunately for me I know as much about cars as I do about knitting, and that's not a lot (so you've got one up on me already!) :)

Sadly garages never seem to guarantee that what they will do will fix anything - most of the time they just seem to blindly follow whatever the computer diagnostics tell them and there is little room for experience or common sense to play a part. I might just leave it and see how it goes - unless anyone else has any advice?

I don't know how much the ECU has to be coded to match the car (e.g. to work with the remote central locking key/immobiliser you have), but the ECU looks fairly easy to replace as it is just the box with a few wires going into it on the bulk head below the wipers. Therefore I wonder if there are merits in getting one second hand from a scrappy? I would also suggest that if the gasket is gone - that is a definite physical problem which should improve if fixed. I'd therefore suggest getting that fixed first (and any garage ought to be able to do it not just a Skoda one) and then see if the car behaves itself before proceeding with the dearer ECU job.

had the same problem with a fiesta when pulling up to junctions etc. it was the idle air control valve just needed removing and cleaningout. not sure if you have one on that engine, but i would hope you do as it sounds better than what the garage said (price wise)

Hello and welcome to Briskoda!

When there seems to be an electrical problem, some of the first things to check are for corroded wiring or loose grounding cables (yours sounds like partially loose ground cables to me). Have an automotive electrician you trust check for both of those, you might just save yourself a bundle of cash.

If it is not that, then find someone with VAG.COM (a diagnostic tool) to help you out. Maybe someone will come along who can help with that.

Nate

Thanks everyone for all your input and advice - I really appreciate it.

I tend to agree that spending lots of money on a new ECU seems like too much of a gamble. I'm sure if it had failed then there would be more symptoms than occasional stalling. However, it does seem wise to get the manifold gasket replacing.

What I think I'll do is wait until my next MOT/Service in the summer and see how it is until then. If things don't get worse then I'll get my local garage to replace the gasket and check out the air-intake thingy and electrics etc. I've also read that cleaning out the throttle valve can help (is that right?). Hopefully they'll be cheaper than the dealer!

PS. I've been lurking here for a while, but I know so little about cars that I've not been able to contribute much. But I'm learning from you guys :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I have had exactly the same problem with my Y- Reg Fabia 1.4 and it has been going on for nearly a year and getting worse. My mechanic has had the car 3 times and still cannot find what the problem is! Great to read all the tips though; he is going to try again next week so I will point him in this direction!

Hi and welcome Claire_t. The trouble is that when something does go wrong, it's not really possible on a 1.4 (given my extremely limited knowledge) to say, "Well that'll be it then" as it might not be, or could be something more serious. The trick is finding out what, of course, so as per my first thoughts, try not to pay for something "in case that does the trick". My Skoda garage is very good at diagnostics and my purse is usually a lot lighter afterwards, but I do have confidence in them - a lot more than my bank manager has confidence in me :rofl:

Regards and good luck

Mo

Hello,

I have had exactly the same problem with my Y- Reg Fabia 1.4 and it has been going on for nearly a year and getting worse. My mechanic has had the car 3 times and still cannot find what the problem is! Great to read all the tips though; he is going to try again next week so I will point him in this direction!

Clean the throttle body and replace the engine coolant temperature sensor or the complete thermostat housing (8 valve 1.4 MPi).

Hi Claire_t,

Good to know I'm not alone. If you get if fixed, let me know how!

My little Fabia played real nice for a while after getting back from the Skoda vet, but now she's starting her old tricks again. Oh well, at the next service I'll get her seen to.

I had (on another car) the kind of problem suggested by glacier. You can easily find out if this is the problem by fitting extra "earths" to engine/body/battery. Easy, cheap and DIY. If it isn't the problem little is lost. Having said that an hour spent cleaning the connections - body, battery, engine won't be wasted anyway.

V

I have a 1.4 8v comfort 2000 w reg. Mine has done this too. I find it ties in with the cold weather and does this while taking longer to warm up to normal operating temp.

I cut a square of plastic and used cable ties to block the lower half of the grille which stops some of the cold air and allows the car to reach operating temperature earlier & seems to have solved my problem. Hope this helps a little.

Hi Claire_t and Diplo,

My W registration fabia got the same problem. Yesterday I stalled 6 times and one of them is in the middle of a very busy road when I was turing right :eek:and completely blocked the road.

I am planning to take it to a Skoda garage next week, but not sure whether they would fix it or not. Please let me know if you find any solutions.

Many thanks!:)

Hi Diplo and Gordon,

Success!! Last week my mechanic cleaned out the throttle body and checked the connections to the temperature sensor amd air intake temp and it has worked! No more stalling. Early days I know and it sometimes does still feel as if its about to go but - touch wood - the problem seems to have been sorted.

Hope this helps.

Claire.

Does your car take a lot longer to warm up on the temp gauge than it used to? If it does , then the problem will be what Fordfan suggested , the cooland temp sensor and the thermostat housing , Ive had mine done already.

Hi all, I have the same problem too and when I start moving, there is a little "hole" like the engine was suffocated.

When the engine is cold, now it starts below 1000 RPM, but when out temp is over 16-17 C, it starts at 1200 RPM!

I cleaned by myself MAF sensor with no results.

Mechanics told me all sensors are OK because there is no MIL activated, they changed fuel pump, lambda sensor and water temperature sensor, cleaned throttle body but my car remains the same, exept a little increase in power during the acceleration. I drive very gently with light foot but my car drinks a lot, ~7 litres/100 km.

Fuel trims are completely out of specifics.

I'll try your cure.

Carlo

Claire_t - that's really good news! Thanks for reporting back. I hope your success continues! I will certainly suggest these things to my mechanic next time I'm at the garage.

Please do keep us updated and let us know how things are progressing.

• 2 months later...

Just a follow-up for this post with some good news:

I took the Fabia to another garage and told them what the Skoda dealer had said. They basically said the dealer was talking rubbish, as the exhaust gasket was fine and they'd never heard of a faulty ECU on 2000 Fabia.

So I asked them to have a look and clean out the throttle body and see if they could spot anything else. They did this, but said throttle body seemed OK, but whilst doing so they noticed the spark plugs were on their last legs (why didn't dealer notice this?) and they replaced them all. Since then the car has been fine - no stalling!

So thanks to everybody for their help and advice - guess the moral of the story is don't take your car to the dealer but use a local, knowledgeable garage (and the BriSkoda forum, of course)!