Skoda Fabia 1.4 MPI 8v classic EGR??

Ive just had a look at my engine and noticed connected to the air intake is a pipe connected to the exhaust manifold, is this an exhaust gas recirculator?? Or not? i was considering putting a k&n or any branded filter in the air box and then put a cold feed to the airbox but just wondered if i should leave this connceted or just scrap it completely?

Regards Dan

Where? I don't remember anything like that list time I was under the bonnet of my wife's car?! Can you describe where it is on this picture (ignore the yellow oval - it was taken for something else!):

cts2.jpg

Chances are yes, it is the EGR.

Disconnecting it will probably light up the CEL though so I wouldn't bother. Perhaps turning it right down with VAG-COM would be wise though. :)

Ahh thanks for the swift reply, but is it really going to make any difference if i remove it or leave it on? just thinking if its worth the hassle of getting some scraped knuckles lol looks abit tight to get it off! And wouldnt it let the exhaust gas go to the engine bay? ive never came over one of these before on a car yet!

Dan

Where? I don't remember anything like that list time I was under the bonnet of my wife's car?! Can you describe where it is on this picture (ignore the yellow oval - it was taken for something else!):

cts2.jpg

Sorry, where's the picture of the engine? Can't quite make it out in that shot.... :D

(Is that a 1.4? It's tiiiiiiiny....)

cts2.jpg

Right Can you see right next to the yellow circle there is a pipe connected onto that its the pipe to the right with the sorta black lines on it and the clip near the air box? thats the pipe im on about, it connects to the manifold at the back i think!

Right Can you see right next to the yellow circle there is a pipe connected onto that its the pipe to the right with the sorta black lines on it and the clip near the air box? thats the pipe im on about, it connects to the manifold at the back i think!

Well I never! You learn a new thing every day! :):thumbup:

Hmmm, doesn't quite add up to me. Does the pipe terminate before or after the air filter? I doubt it would send exhaust gases back through the filter via the air box.....not seen that before.

Hmmm, doesn't quite add up to me. Does the pipe terminate before or after the air filter? I doubt it would send exhaust gases back through the filter via the air box.....not seen that before.

True. My understanding was that the exhaust was reinjected into the inlet manifold. Come to think of it, I'm not sure exhaust gas straight out of the cylinder would be too friendly to that rubber hose and the plastic airbox!?!

well it connects to the little sorta oem cold air feed at the grill, so it joins on there and it obviously goes back to the air box. I thought it was probably for emmisions to keep them tight?? :confused:

Ahhh, this makes more sense. My 320i and 318iS used to pass coolant around the throttle body butterfly to stop them icing up and improve cold running but that was coolant......and it used the throttle body. This is potentially exhaust gas and it's piped to the intake. Odd. :D

I have never come across an EGR system on the 8 valve, if it has one (which I doubt) they should use it on the 16V in place of the current one. The pipe highlighted in red is an air intake pipe so that the engine can have warm air from around the exhaust manifold.

19229.attach

I have never come across an EGR system on the 8 valve, if it has one (which I doubt) they should use it on the 16V in place of the current one. The pipe highlighted in red is an air intake pipe so that the engine can have warm air from around the exhaust manifold.

Yep thats the pipe! ahh so it just helps cold starts? does it actually come from the manifold or just take some of the hot air of it?

Come to think of it, I have seen this before. Think it was an old Vauxhall....had a pipe coming from the exhaust manifold heatshield to the intake to feed it with warm air. It's not exhaust gas but got air from around the manifold IIRC.

Heating up the intake air probably helps cold running a little on the car by helping atomise the fuel that's injected into the intake. Don't forget, lots of fuel goes in on a cold engine as the mixture needs to be rich for the car to start and run when cold. Warmer air helps this a little.

Can I ask why you're looking at removing it? If you're fitting a K&N or something I really wouldn't bother....not on an 8v. The cylinder head doesn't have the breathing capacity to make use of extra air and you'd probably lose some torque. Seen it before several times.

But they do sound nice though... :D

Heating up the intake air probably helps cold running a little on the car by helping atomise the fuel that's injected into the intake. Don't forget, lots of fuel goes in on a cold engine as the mixture needs to be rich for the car to start and run when cold. Warmer air helps this a little.

Can I ask why you're looking at removing it? If you're fitting a K&N or something I really wouldn't bother....not on an 8v. The cylinder head doesn't have the breathing capacity to make use of extra air and you'd probably lose some torque. Seen it before several times.

But they do sound nice though... :D

Well i just wondered really ive seen a thread on a polo forum with a similar engine he had a bmc fitted and ive been looking at panel filters and getting more airflow to the stock air box, just wanted abit of a cleaner pull really not looking for typical lads ill get 10bhp with an air filter lol

Yes they sure do sound nice! :rofl:

Thing is, I doubt the standard airbox is the bottleneck on an 8v petrol engine even with a standard filter. Increasing breathing at that stage probably won't help unless you do somethig with the head/ cams, then the exhaust manifold and pipes too.

On the diesel, because they run so lean and need lots of air it makes sense to have the PD160 intake etc.

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Holy thread revival batman!

Going back to this point though...

I'm sure the hot air feed goes to the thermostat, does it not?

There's absolutely no mention of an EGR in the Haynes for the 1.4mpi engine - and i've just had the air inlet manifold off the top of the throttle body to see if anything goes to the manifold that looks like an EGR - nothing.

Are we right? No EGR on the mpi engine? If so I guess it's one less thing to have to clean gunk out of lol!

• Like 1

There is no EGR, any bypass gasses are simply vented trough the 2 pipes near the oil filler, back towards the throttle body (where air is taken into the manifold). This is the same basic design carried forward from the older Skoda engines this is based on. One downside of this is oil vapours and gunk can also make the same journey as the gasses, and this gums up the throttle body, making it worthwhile to clean the throttle body with carb cleaner every now and then. I have also noticed that particularly at the rocker cover end, the pipes can perish (go soft) due to oil contamination. You could simply put a venting filter thingy on the rocker cover and put a blanking plug/cover on the other end. I can't imagine this would fail an MOT although the arrangement I believe is due to some sort of legislation which means the engine has to reburn some of the gasses it made or something.

Hot air feed simply comes from the back of the deflector plate on the exhaust manifold, and feeds air into the intake.

Edited by anewman

There is no EGR, any bypass gasses are simply vented trough the 2 pipes near the oil filler, back towards the throttle body (where air is taken into the manifold). This is the same basic design carried forward from the older Skoda engines this is based on. One downside of this is oil vapours and gunk can also make the same journey as the gasses, and this gums up the throttle body, making it worthwhile to clean the throttle body with carb cleaner every now and then. I have also noticed that particularly at the rocker cover end, the pipes can perish (go soft) due to oil contamination. You could simply put a venting filter thingy on the rocker cover and put a blanking plug/cover on the other end. I can't imagine this would fail an MOT although the arrangement I believe is due to some sort of legislation which means the engine has to reburn some of the gasses it made or something.

Hot air feed simply comes from the back of the deflector plate on the exhaust manifold, and feeds air into the intake.

This is exactly what I suspected - thanks!

Was going to do some sort of elephant hose mod to a catch can (plenty of space located at the front left facing the engine for one!) for the pipes from the rocker cover, don't want that rubbish going back around the engine to parts that won't appreciate it if I can help it!

I'll post some piccies up of my setup once I get paid and pick up a few bits and bobs.