Octy Radio Code

Hi all,

I'm sure you guys will sort me out once again.

I am being told by my dealer that octavias do not require radio codes. They say if you change the battery the radio will be fine as it memorizes the code. Just checking as i don't trust anything they tell me after all my hassle with them since October.

Question arises as i have swapped my unsolvable over revving 1.6 Fsi elegance for the 1.8 Tsi elegance model and i'm sure i had a code for my 1.6.

Thanks guys in advance.

Thats correct, the code for the radio is stored in the cars ECU. If you disconnect the battery the code is sent to the radio via the canbus.

The only time you need the code is if you swap the original HU for another Skoda one, or if you replace the dashpod. For these situations only the dealer can get you the code, and to get them you must show them your V5, and some other proof of ID. If the stereo is not the original one from the car, they will also need proof of purchase.

There is a code for the immobiliser.

I've had my radio out a few times and the battery unplugged while having some work done at the dealers and it started first time. I think the code is kept n the ecu so you do not need to add to it.

I had to get my code after a change of dashpod (to get me maxi-dot) and it was a pain. Still, the dealer got it after about 3 days and it was all sorted. The ECU should remember it for a battery change though as was said earlier.

How's the 1.8Tsi compared to the 1.6FSI? Happy with it?

Been in possession of the 1.8TFI about a week now. Apart from the obvious power difference its just a little noisier and firmer ride then the 1.6 Fsi as it has the 17" Pegasus wheels with firmer suspension.

However i have had a little fun with it with an acceleration sprint from 3 roundabouts with a Honda prelude (not sure how quick those cars are).

Btw, just for interest to everyone i managed to get my next service free last Friday from Skoda UK as a goodwill gesture for all my problems with the 1.6Fsi.

I thought that was a good result as they have been less than helpful overall with my probs.