Fabia 2 TDI 80 filling up problems

Hi all,

I have a Fabia 2 TDI 80 2007 New Nov.

I am having great problems putting dieso into the car - Most pumps I can only with alot of trouble get 3/4 of a tank.

I put the nossel in all different angles - in or out no matter what I try to do it puts fuil in then cuts out. Even if I dribble it in!

I filled up 3/4 of a tank getting very frustrated at TESCO then the 3 mins was up and the unit timed out no power on the pump.

I then went latter to ASDA I could continue to fill up a full tank.

Anyone got any ideas?

Anyone had the same problem?

At the moment I have no idea what is going on.

George

I had this problem once at a BP garage near home, pump kept cutting out and took lots of starting and stopping to fill the tank. However, every other petrol station I've been to has been fine so I don't think it was a car problem but a pump problem!

I just avoid that particular petrol station now.:)

Thanks one and all just on the last post how do you vent?

When you remove the fuel cap you should notice a little black nozzle. Push it twards the vehicle. Helps relieve pressure that built up, usually from a fast fill. To better understand just think about how in winter you can fill your tank with more fuel than in summer. Slower the flow speed you select the more fuel you'll get for your money, all within reason of course.:orb_cool:

Thank you very happy with the car. I think changing from one car to anouther is very difficult. I like most have had quite a few cars, I buy ex demmo's or new.

My last car was a Toyota Corrolla, this was very good up till the 8 year mark with no problems at all.

I have to say to date I am very pleased with the Fabia 2 TDI 80 pdi 1.4.

There were a few tinny problems like the glove box light on permantly for 3 months and some other minor things but over all its passed the test so far. I will have to wait and see if it passes the test of time. How expensive it is to run on tyres, bulbs, exhausts, services etc.

No car is perfect and there are a few things I would improve with this - possibly the manafactures of cars should send out a questionare on what things drivers would improve with the vehicals.

Thank you for all the posts on this issue of filling - just one observasion, not sure how slowing down the filling off a tank can give you more fuil for your money!

George

Thank you for all the posts on this issue of filling - just one observation, not sure how slowing down the filling off a tank can give you more fuel for your money!

George

Well I'm sure someone else may be able to explain it more eloquently, but I'll give it a try. Just think about the smell of fuel when you fill. Ever wonder why you smell it. Or why years ago a pump handle was just that yet today it looks like one of those robots :borg: from a Transformers film!

Well the smell of fuel is actually evaporated fuel!:jawbig:

Fuel evaporates for a few reasons of which rising temperature is one. Another is fast flow on fill... If you consider a garden hose that you put one of those misting spouts on. You should be able to visualize some of the water just evaporating before it has a chance to reach the ground, especially on a hot day. The same thing happens when we use rapid full squeeze at the filling station. Thus pump handles now have a semi air tight seal on them to help reduce the noxious fumes :nx: from escaping. Which in turn could be ingested or even worse ignite:flame::microwav::flamed::hbomb:.

Less evaporated fuel = More in your tank!:orb_phone

Most grateful - therefor you get more for your money only if its not evaperated before it goes in the tank. Nothing to do with the flow and the metre.

This does not help my car filling problems because even if it trickles out I cant get a full tank.

I will look to see if there is this vent pipe, but cant say I have or its mentioned in the book (I have read my book cover to cover 2 or 3 times)

I thought it could be to do with the nossel sizes, I have noticed some pumps have short nossels with very large diamiters, others are long and small diamiters. Thought it could be to do with this and fumes cutting off the fuil.

I notice allso alot of fuil sounds in the top of the tank as if its not going anywhere.

Will keep an eye on it.

Thanks again intresting explanation good graphics

George

therefor you get more for your money only if its not evaporated before it goes in the tank. Nothing to do with the flow and the meter.

This does not help my car filling problems because even if it trickles out I cant get a full tank.

George

Sort of, you may be getting excess pressure build-up from the fuel that's evaporating yet not escaping from the tank. Thus this Valve helps release this evaporated fuel. So if you we're to pump at the fastest rate even if it doesn't escape you'll just end up with a less full tank! While if your topping up by venting like I do. Then to maximize your savings it's imperative to take your time... You know slow like the tortoise to win the race!!!

feulventvalveox5.jpg

P.S. I manage to put more than 60L in my tank when it's rated to only 45L!!!:saythat:

I want to thank you SKISBP - I actualy went out on this glorious day to the car during lunch before you posted the photo. Yes its there and works.

You know I want to make 3 comments:-

1. All manafacturers are at fault they write a manual for all models and miss out vital information.

2. This Web site is totaly invaluble - its truly fantastic because problems etc get sorted when it would take months asking the garage if they could answer the question at all.

3. You have gone more than the mile for me I am in your debt and thank you.

I beleave that vent pipe is probably ment to be knocked by the filling pipe this would follow my previous assumption that the thicker nozzels hit this and the thin ones do not.

Thank you very very much.

George

I believe that vent pipe is probably meant to be knocked by the filling pipe this would follow my previous assumption that the thicker nozzles hit this and the thin ones do not.

Thank you very very much.

George

No problem George just happened to get one up my ally!:)

You have 2 options as I see it. You could wait till it stops filling then release pressure & continue repeating till your content it's full...:orb_froze Alternately when the filler spout has a spring round the spout. Just place the spring depressing the valve so the pressure is let out while filling!!!:orb_rocki

Personally I do both & as I've become quite accustomed to feeling when it's ready to splash back, rarely have that happen. Plus helps having the Maxi-dot equivalent on mine. So I can quickly figure :orb_futur before pumping how much will actually fit within a liter or so!

I ve got exactly the same car and find when I first fill up it happens occasionally but i just withdraw the pump nozzle a little and then put further in and it fills up fine. The car itself is excellent.