Thinking about this TV

seano47

Although it's a minor point, 1080p isn't full-HD - 1080i is, so if you're thinking of getting something like a Blu-Ray unit (HD-DVD's been canned, don't forget), you'd be better off getting an 'i' TV if you can...

I couldn't explain the difference, but I'm pretty sure it's the case! :confused:

The difference between ‘P’ and ‘i’ is ‘P’ shows the whole number of lines in one hit a bit like cinema film (that’s why it’s best for movies) and ‘I’ is interlaced like traditional CRT tellies and is best for fast action stuff like sport. Both are Full HD

But People keep getting hung up on 1080 HD and it is a bit like the megapixel race in cameras. There are other considerations that make a much bigger impact to the picture quality than the number of lines on the screen. Blacks and response time are just two of them.

These views are those of the author and ....etc etc:D

I stand corrected on the i / p thing, then. But concur on the blacks and response time. We switched to a Sony Bravia 'W'-spec LCD TV after getting a brace of Hitachi mid-range plasma tellies one after the other than both had dead pixels. Even after much fiddling with settings, I reckon the picture clarity was definitely better on the plasma (dead pixel and screenburn aside :smirk: ) The contrast ratio listed for the Sony is supposedly much higher than the Hitachi's was (18000:1 vs. 10000:1 IIRC), but again there's some factor that comes into it that I can't remember! At the end of the day, the picture definitely looked better on the Hitachi (both were 1080i, BTW)

LCDs often advertise a higher contrast ratio than Plasma, but this is a con. The way LCDs work is by using an adjustable back light/lights and filtering the light from those sources. So if the back light is turned down you may well get black and if it is turned right up you may well get peak white, but if a scene has dark blacks and peak whites in the same frame you are stuffed. Plasma doesn’t have this problem, so its advertised contrast ratio is a ‘real world’ figure (well as much as you can trust any manufacturer) and outperforms LCD, especially when viewing movies. But the gap is closing all the time between the two formats.

trust your eyes, but do not be fooled by super bright overly sharp images at the local Telly shop. they are really wearing when you have to live with them at home.

Well, it's supposedly better than the Sony KDL40V3000, which is the equivalent Sony (both use the same screen AFAIK). The 40V is one down the foodchain from the one we have and costs about a hundred quid more than the Samsung you're looking at. As I say, it's taken us ages to tweak the picture on our telly, and its still not as good as a mid-range plasma. I would have happily kept replacing our Hitachis until we got one without dead pixels, had it not been for the screenburn, as the picture really was streets ahead :( The one thing that did help, though was finding the instructions for accessing the service menus and also for bringing up the Freeview testcard. Once we had them, I was able to tweak the settings until I got a picture almost as good as the plasma, from dead-ahead, at least. Forget the 170deg / 180deg look angles, BTW,,, :thumbdwn:

Then again, I don't think you'd get a plasma for £750-ish that the Samsung's going for anymore, so maybe it's a moot point in which case it's probably a good purchase!

Clear as mud?

We have just got a SONY KDL-46W3000 and i think its great! Its a bit slow on really fast parts of films and standard freeview does nothing for it. But on full HD its breathtaking!

We just went around every TV retailer we could think of and spent a good few hours looking at the different ones until we found a screen that 'we' liked looking at and settled on the sony. Then went and purchased it online, 3 days later it arrived, bobs your uncle!

Being a full 6" bigger (fnarr!), how do you find it for 'vignetting' (shadows in the corners)? It's noticeable on our 40" one, but not on my in-laws 32" Bravia Whatever. I assumed it was just a function of the backlight not reaching the extremities, but if you don't have the problem, then it's the settings perhaps?

Agree with most on plasmas, they give a 'cinematic' picture, some describe it as

softer, Lcd's are capable of sharper images, but often fall down on SD pictures more so

than plasma. Fast moving 'panning' shots on Lcd's can reveal terrible 'juddering' effects

caution too on contrast ratios, they are always rated as those 'claimed' by manufacturers,

real life ratios are normally coniderably less! ( this applies to plasma & lcd)

I would strongly recomend an extended warranty, take a look at Panasonics 'wallet'

friendly 8 series of plasmas, Panasonic sporadicaly offer 5yr manufacturer warranties

as standard (no extra cost) if your keen on the Sammy follow the link, haven't read

owner views, may get a bit 'techy' but any consistent issues should be on there.

Official Samsung N87 thread - AVForums

Being a full 6" bigger (fnarr!), how do you find it for 'vignetting' (shadows in the corners)? It's noticeable on our 40" one, but not on my in-laws 32" Bravia Whatever. I assumed it was just a function of the backlight not reaching the extremities, but if you don't have the problem, then it's the settings perhaps?

It is noticeable on very bright pictures but generally speaking i dont notice it when watching telly. You notice it most on the TV planner menu on mine.

It is noticeable on very bright pictures but generally speaking i dont notice it when watching telly. You notice it most on the TV planner menu on mine.

Not just me, then - still, it's much less irritating than the dead pixels the Hitachis had... :thumbup: