Autotech rear ARB

I've just fitted a Autotech ARB:D & I thought I'd post a brief description & a few pictures.

The ARB is 28mm thick & is 3 position adjustable. It uses a sliding endlink design, which they say prevents binding of the bar & preloading of the suspension.

Fitting was quite simple even for someone like me & the job was done in just over an hour from start to finish & thats working on my back:(.

A few tips though, PTFE spray works wonders at lubricating the bushes when sliding them down the ARB & make sure the instructions are understood when drilling the two mounting holes in the rear axle beam, because if the holes are drilled wrong, you won't be able to get the nut on the back due to the bar at the rear of the axle beam.

The kit

th_ImportedPhotos00019.jpg

The links & bushes

th_ImportedPhotos00018.jpg

Bar fittedth_ImportedPhotos00021.jpg

th_ImportedPhotos00020.jpg

th_ImportedPhotos00022.jpg

Not seen these, I guess costs and links to suppliers though would help prospective buyers!

I bought it from JBS for £220 inc vat. It was a similar price to the neuspeed rear ARB.

How is this adjusted and is it hollow tube :eek:?

The PTFE spray you used will not last long - best using copper grease.

The bar is hollow & outboard links are cast aluminium, which make things nice & light.

There are two pair of outboard links. One pair is angled the other pair is straight. The angled link with the angle facing the front of the car is the hardest setting, with that link fitted to the rear of the car is the softest setting & the straight link when fitted is the medium setting.

I know that changing the settings on the whiteline was much easier, but I never changed it from the hard setting anyway & thats what I have got this set on:D

The use of PTFE spray was to aid the bushes to slide over the bar when fitting as they are nice & tight. I used moly grease in the bushes.

May I ask why you sold the Whiteline one and got this one?

I originally wanted the Neuspeed ARB, but so many on Briskoda rated the Whiteline ARB & at a fraction of the price, I bought one.

TBH I was never totally convinced with the quality of the Whiteline after I recieved it. The links & box section brackets didn't really inspire me & the instructions wasn't right, but the ARB did make positive & noticable difference to the handling when I fitted it.

I developed a knocking noise on the rear that I couldn't trace, the doubt set in & I took the ARB off. Don't know why? probably out of frustration with the knocking sound, but It did cure the noise (so I thought) & I decided to go & purchase the Neuspeed bar, which is what I wanted in the first place.

Anyway I went to JBS for a quote for the Neuspeed ARB, but got presented with the Autotech version, which I quite liked & I went ahead & ordered it.

The noise returned two days after ordering the Autotech ARB.:eek::confused:

The Whiteline ARB wasn't the cause of the knocking & not to blame:rolleyes:

So...now I had ordered the Autotech, & with the doubt lingering I decided to sell the whiteline & fit the Autotech.

Long winded I know, but you did ask:D

I have a whiteline and yesterday it had to come off. I was cornering hard when I heard a bang from the rear. When I got home one of the U shaped brackets had snapped :mad: . Julian at balancemotorsport is on it but if he can't help I will have to fork out on another bar which is not something I needed at this moment :(

• 3 months later...

u bolts are easy to fit however the problem is beam is ductile so you will never get torque on the u-bolt like you might a normal fixing eg bottom strut bolt. the result is usually when people fit they keep tightening and tightening waiting for the torque to increase when in fact what is happening is the beam is flexing so the bolts are then under tension. the secret is not to overtighten them and if you feel unsure about this use loctite. I haven't been on hear for yonks so i hope this was all resolved - can't tell who's who from user names !

thanks

Julian