Octavia RS versus Golf GTI Edition: handling

I've read a lot about the Golf GTI Edition and I noticed how much this was critisized for not only it's poor handling, but also for it's understeer and flex in the chassis. So I was wondering: did Skoda do a better job? Stiffer chassis, more comfort but crispier handling?

Ps. If there is writing regarding a stiff chassis in English, do they mean the spring, damper and ARB rating. Or are they talking about the body? The Dutch word for body is chassis, that's why I am asking.

Strictly speaking, the English word chassis should only be used to refer to a separate frame that supports the mechanicals, suspension and body.

Since unitary bodyshells (like the cars instanced) became commonplace, it's been colloquially used to mean the combination of bodyshell and suspension, particularly when referring to handling or body stiffness.

I have no idea how the spring, damper and anti-roll bar rates, or body stiffness, of the 2 cars compare, but any or all of those could affect the handling.

The Bora was the same wheel base as a Golf, whereas the Octavia (Mk1 and 2) is slightly longer than the Golf (and Jetta) to allow for greater rear leg room?

I'm sure I've read that somewhere... and it certainly seems to have a modicum of truth in my estimations

Wheel base is the same,but the vrs uses a slightly different set up on the front.

The vrs uses the front suspension set up off s3 which has a different arb link than that of the golf(excluding the R32).

If your talking about the MK5 golf edtion 30 then this should be in the Octavia 2 section.

someone at awesome mentioned to me that the mk1 vrs has the '4MOTION' front end. dont know anything about golfs, but im guessing its a model different from the normal mk4 front end.

Ahh just had a look actually, 4MOTION mk4 golf has a 2.8 V6 and 204bhp. Maybe Skoda thought that it was more up to the job.

Thanks guys! I was indeed talking about the Golf IV and Octavia I... The Golf V is actually being praised as being a big step up, making it closer to icons such as the Focus RS and previous Type-R's.

I do read about Golfs IV getting stuff from other VAG models, I think it was the S3, TT, Leon Cupra R and R32 stuff.

Maybe this is identical to the 4motion stuff mentioned earlier in this thread?

I have also heard S3 "upgrades" in the front suspension on Golf IV's. I don't think the S3 stuff is standard on the Octavia as the trackwidth is identical to all other FWD. Funny enough the Cupra R is also the same width, and I've heard this is the upgraded front also...

S3 (210/225) / TT (225):

1.53 front / 1.50 rear

TT (180)

1.53 front / 1.51 rear / 2.44 wheelbase

Octavia RS / Leon Cupra R / Golf GTI edition / Golf R32:

1.51 front / 1.49 rear / 2.51 wheelbase

Wheelbase:

S3 (210/225) 2.52

TT (225) 2.43 wheelbase

TT (180) 2.44

Octavia RS 2.51

Leon Cupra R 2.51