Slight judder when pulling away

For what it's worth, I had a judder from stationery starts in my 1.9TDi and everybody I consulted (except the local dealer, who insisted there was no problem at all after their £70 road test and computer diagnostics!!!) suggested the clutch. In the event, it turned out to be a broken engine mount (so the engine was shuddering under the strain of getting the car moving, but was fine once any degree of inertia had been built up). This may well not be your problem, but it might be worth asking somebody to check the engine mounts before getting any expensive clutch work done.

thanks for the replies. I had the brake and clutch fluid changed by someone who knows exactly what they are doing and ever since then the clutch has been spot on!!

I'm struggling to explain why this has affected the juddering when the engine is cold. any ideas would be appreciated

Matt

• 3 weeks later...

I've just started getting this on our SDi after it went in for the console bushes to be changed. It happens in every gear when accelerating gently, if I accelerate harder it doesn't do it. It only seems to go away when the engine is under more load? or when the clutch is depressed? Any ideas? Its driving me bloody mad.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I get exactly this and i have a Helix SM fly and heavy duty clutch - anyone got any other ideas?

I have had gear box issues with selection / getting stuck in 1st. Bearings replaced, but now judder when pulling away, esp on hills. Gearbox done about 5 months ago and still feels a bit 'tight' but cant think that this is much to do with it.

Edited by mr. hedgehog

Interesting about the engine mounts and fluid in above posts (missed on 1st quick read) - will speak to my normal mechanic tomorrow rather then the stealer. When my DMFW did go after 30k it only ever 'wobbled' in 5th or 6th under heavy load, never when pulling away. The Helix one is supposed to able to cope with the most brutal treatment :)

Question is - why intermitant? Sometimes i can pull the heavy hillstart with no probs (I live on the Malvern Hills) and other times i cant pull away from lights on the flat with out the judder. Would love to understand the mechanics of this weirdness....

Edited by mr. hedgehog

Just checked - my setup is good for 420ft/lb - im running no where near that. Doesnt feel like when the DMFW went either- that was a slappy 'wobble' rather than a harsh juddering...

I hate not knowing what causes stuff to go wrong - spose thats why i have beetle up on bricks in the back garden and an engine on my patio.... oh well.

EDIT - not found one post on forums refering to SMFW failure.... makes me think something else fishy is going on..... its too much coincidence this started after the gearbox was out, rebuilt, and refitted....

I can floor the car in every gear without issue, but if i nurse it in 1st it hates it. If i stand on the go pedel and sidestep off the clutch it goes fine (albeit with a bit of engine mount pain if i really push it) its just when i pull away normally. The more i nurse it, the worse the judder.

Just to check it wasnt the fly again I slapped it in 5th and 6th at low revs and let it have it - no judder or wobble, it will pull from 1.4k revs in 6th with no complaint.

Starting to think that it could be something like oil mist from the gearbox on the fly/clutch and/or a highspot on the fly, as if i cane it, and mash the clutch up i get a perfect lift off, if i nurse it, the judder returns.

i've booked it in to my mechanics (non stealer) to have a look at the clutch/fly for evidence of contamination, and also the gearbox for eveidence of leakage. I'll get him to look at the clutch bite point before doing this too.

Aside this, I refuse to believe this is 'condensation' as a lot of dealers seem to suggest.

Anyone got any best guesses?

Edited by mr. hedgehog

Not that its going to help those with DMFW judders but I though I'd post for reference:-

Just had a good chinwag with Nick from Jabba - discussing getting the judder sorted before the hybrid, made interesting suggestion that it could be the friction plate/ springs starting to show wear as it ends up soaking up some of the vibes the DMFW would have took out. Reccomended clamping the hub and looking for any play which would explain judder.

Oil may be discounted as Nick suggested the slip would happen consistently, or in other gears.

If it is only the friction plate/springs then this would be cheapish on parts but expensive on hours to remedy.... I will post what I and/or my mechanic finds when hes stripped it down.