Hello from South Australia

Arclighter

I bought a new Silver Octavia Elegance wagon ( Estate) _ 6 sp Man 2.0 Tdi in Melbourne and drove it home to Adelaide. South Australia in 42C heat! Has anybody got a long term fuel economy figure for this combination - I had a Golf 2.0 Tdi and managed to get 4.7L / 100km for this trip - but with full Air Con on and a head wind - only 7.0L / 100km

I bought a new Silver Octavia Elegance wagon ( Estate) _ 6 sp Man 2.0 Tdi in Melbourne and drove it home to Adelaide. South Australia in 42C heat! Has anybody got a long term fuel economy figure for this combination - I had a Golf 2.0 Tdi and managed to get 4.7L / 100km for this trip - but with full Air Con on and a head wind - only 7.0L / 100km

Welcome.

To be hones, I don't think anyone has a fuel economy figure for a 42oC heat with air con on full blast (not sure on the distance from Melbourne to Adelaide, but I know they are not that close to each other).

4.7l/100km works out to 60mpg :eek: that is very good I've never seen that with my 2.0l Tdi

7.0l/100 is about 40mpg, and in Uk conditions is below average. but than in the UK the highest air con setting warms us up in the winter, in Aus it will cool you down so i'm guessing 7.0l/100km is not too far off right, given how hard the AC will have to work.

Quick assessment of the downunder Octavia? Excellent - always gets a few looks on the road It has been mistaken for an Audi and an E class Benz from the rear 3/4 view great roadholding - a harder ride than my Golf - 16" tyres on the Occy v 15" on the Golf as far as fuel economy goes mine must be a very tight motor at idle it uses 0.9L/hour the Golf 0.4l/hour _ I have always used at least 1% Biodiesel in the Golf - the motor didn't fully bed in until about 35000km and oil changes were always Mobil 1 after the first 15000km. It ran on B20 for at least 20000km. Here it's called Premium Diesel and meets the Australian Standard for diesel. As from 1 Jan 2009 Australian diesel will have a maximum sulphur content of 10ppm currently 50ppm which is even more reason to use at least 1% Bio.