McGard Versus wheel nut covers

Before taking delivery of the VRS I browsed the site looking for info on security wheel nuts. The McGards looked favourite so I ordered a set of Ultras (M14 x 1.5 28018 SL) which I have now fitted.

Problem: the wheel nut covers that came with the car do not fit over the McGards, which gives scally a free view of what's fitted and slightly spoils the looks.

Question: Any one else had a similar problem when fitting McGards?

From viewing the threads I have seen several links to buy replacement wheel nut covers but presume that they will be a similar diameter to the originals.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Before taking delivery of the VRS I browsed the site looking for info on security wheel nuts. The McGards looked favourite so I ordered a set of Ultras (M14 x 1.5 28018 SL) which I have now fitted.

Problem: the wheel nut covers that came with the car do not fit over the McGards, which gives scally a free view of what's fitted and slightly spoils the looks.

From viewing the threads I have seen several links to buy replacement wheel nut covers but presume that they will be a similar diameter to the originals.

Thanks for any thoughts.

I am actually on the hunt for some mcgard covers. I fitted some "longer" mcgard bolts when I fitted my spacers so need some covers. Already have covers for the 19mm headed bolts I used (again longer) but now have a bare mcgard bolt exposed. :)

Devonutopia

Thanks for the reply, glad it's not just me thinking "Doh" done it wrong .

Checked your Utube video, 260bhp!!

I know you run a diesel, what did it do to your fuel cons (apologies for going off topic, next time I will PM)

Devonutopia

Thanks for the reply, glad it's not just me thinking "Doh" done it wrong .

Checked your Utube video, 260bhp!!

I know you run a diesel, what did it do to your fuel cons (apologies for going off topic, next time I will PM)

fuel economy is like a normal diesel. ;)

If you find a mcgard solution, please let me know :) I'll do the same if I find a set of cover which fit over my McGards. :)

If you find a mcgard solution, please let me know :) I'll do the same if I find a set of cover which fit over my McGards. :)

Will do, good hunting.

Now that it's stopped snowing I think the Social Secretary and I are going for a drive to do a bit of "running in" :)

Cheers

Thanks for any thoughts.

Simple really; the problem with the OEM covers is a small rim around the inside that does not fit over the McGard bolt.

I found the solution by placing three small 'peas' of blue tac on the inside of the nut cover and then pushing it neatly into place onto the McGard nut (being careful that none of the blue tac would get squashed into the groove in the top of the Mcgard nut).

Over two months later they are all still nicely in place.

I then pushed the remaining normal nut covers onto the normal nuts, but only about half on, so that the top of the cover matched the level of the top of the cover on the one on the McGard nuts.

PS> Replacement sets of wheel nut covers available here;-

Audi / VW / SEAT / Skoda Wheel Lug Nut Caps/Bolt Covers on eBay, also, Seat, Car Parts, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 29-Mar-08 21:12:42 GMT)

guys can someone explain- I have an 08 vRS and think it already has factory supplied locking nuts.

Are you changing them because they are not up to the job, or did you not get them with your vehicles, or am I plain wrong?

I have my McGard lockers as I needed a locking bolt with a longer, 45mm stem, having fitter 15mm spacers to my hub/wheels; the OEM lockers not being long enough. No other reason.

I have my OEM lockers in the garage to refit when required.

guys can someone explain- I have an 08 vRS and think it already has factory supplied locking nuts.

Are you changing them because they are not up to the job, or did you not get them with your vehicles, or am I plain wrong?

The standard ones are adequate but I added some McGard ones (as opposed to replaced) for extra security. I have since taken them off as some numbnuts damaged the locking key so I couldn't get them off. I had to order a new key however in trying to get them off with the knackared key I damaged one of the nuts.

[quote=bahnstormer vrs;1222653

I found the solution by placing three small 'peas' of blue tac on the inside of the nut cover and then pushing it neatly into place onto the McGard nut (being careful that none of the blue tac would get squashed into the groove in the top of the Mcgard nut).

Over two months later they are all still nicely in place.

Thanks bahnstormer

Pleasently surprised that the blue tack did the job. I may give this a try and at the same time put some thread lock liquid around the rim of the nut cover. The blue tack will keep the cap in place until the thread lock has hardened. Ever mindfull of keeping the thread lock away from the centre of the wheel stud.

When I had my McGards on I just didn't bother with the nut cover.

I've got Ultras as well. they're pretty shiny so I've just left them uncovered. Hopefully any skallies will see they're not OEM and might bugger off.

I had an issue when one of my OEM locking bolts went missing. I wasn't happy with the dealer response and I remembered speaking with a tyre fitter once upon a time who said they could get most bolts out just by hammering a socket onto the bolt.

The 18" wheels are a bit tempting for scumbags so I thought £32 was pretty good for the toughest locks I could find a review on.

McGard seem a reasonable company too. I ******ed my key and had to phone Germany for a new one. Got it within 5 days, €18 inc €5 postage.

• 2 months later...

Similar problem as mentioned here. Wheel spacers now require the use of longer wheel bolts including the locking one. I've found that the locking wheel bolts on a VW Crafter van are the correct size for a Fabia, M14x1.5 with a radius seat, but are 53mm long.

Crafter%20Locking%20Bolts.jpg

These locking bolts could be cut down to the 45mm length mentioned and would allow the use of standard VW nut covers.

Golf%20GTI%20New%20Style%20Caps.jpg

The VW Crafter locking bolt set (4+key) is around the £20 mark.

When I do some more homework I'll report back on the use of the oem Fabia nut covers on the Crafter bolts.

Hope this helps?

• 11 months later...

Hello devonutopia,

Just fitted standard Mcgard locking bolts to my 2005 Fabia VRS, and through chance I found an old Ford Orion wheel cap fitted over it quite well.

Took the cap to Ford dealer who traced a code stamped inside cap and I walked away £3.04 lighter with 4 new plastic caps. They were new so were even a better fit over the locking cap. From standing position, cap blends in, even though it is not a totally polished finish.

Suggest try scrappers for cap that fits, making a note of make and model of vehicle, and buy new with confidence.

Good luck. Ian. 16/05/2009 :thumbup: