ESP problem, throttle noises

kostas

Hello All,

i have a 4x4 1,8t hatch octavia which i purchased a few mnths ago.

On cold damp mornings when i turn the key once (before ignition) all the lights on the dashboard switch on (which is normal), however the esp light stays on even when i start the engine and i cant switch it back off, to do that i have to stop the engine and turn it on again, i had the ecu reflashed in the garage but it didnt cure it, does anyone know what this is?

could the ECU be faulty or affected by moist conditions and does that? or is it a porblem with the esp?

In addition, again during cold mornings, when i pull away and go into second gear at low revs (1-2k rpm) i get a rattling noise from inside the engine, this goes on for a few seconds or until i pick up revs. Anyone knows what this might be?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated, you can email me directly

re rattle: I would be concerned \ check that your oil level \ circulation is fine, as the rattling at low revs sounds very much like the cam chain going across the guide before VVT changes.

re esp, I would get ABS sensors checked, sounds like one \ wiring could be faulty.

Kostas, check your dipstick for oil level...

I would expect the 1552 to show a faulty sensor if a "permanent" fault, but if a wiring fault then maybe not (intermittant?) in terms of ABS sensors.

Dear SimonT,

i dont get anything apart from the esp light staying on which i cannot switch back off unless i restart the engine, the dealer has just told me that he reset the ecu

Dear SimonT' date='

i dont get anything apart from the esp light staying on which i cannot switch back off unless i restart the engine, the dealer has just told me that he reset the ecu[/quote']

Hello again,

Your dealer may have reset the fault code, but it's obviously back :). The code I was referring to can be found by a dealer with their equipment (faults which show a light (even intermittent ones) will be logged). Get this code.

Also, although it doesn't help much, Rob's thread here sprang to mind.

yes he has, but wouldnt any faults show anyway?

Yes, as I said above (sorry, started replying before I saw your latest post). As an alternative, maybe someone local to you would be willing to hook up their VAG-COM.

Anyone near Reading with a 'pooter?

Dear Tavia4x4 thanks for that,

i have checked the oil level along with the other fluids in the car recently and it was ok, if there was an oil preassure problem wouldnt that show on the dash?

Dear Ian,

the rattling has appeared when i first bought the car, since then i have covered around 11000, the car went in for a service (and oil change) at 10000 and they couldnt spot the porblem. If there was an oil pressure porblem, wouldnt they spot it or at least wouldnt it show on the dash?

• Administrators

Is the steering wheel on straight?

It has been noted on other VAG cars that a misaligned steering wheel (only by a few splines) can interfer with a sensor on the steering thus leaving TC/orange light on. ESP and TC light are very similar and totally linked in the FWD ESP setup.

Thanks for that Colin,

Actually, the car tends to the left a bit when i leave the steering wheel, however, if that interfered with the esp light should it stay on all the time when i start the car?

It only does it some cold and damp mornings.

Thanks

Kostas

Hi Colin,

the car tends to pull very slightly to the left if i let go of the steering wheel, but it goes straight when i hold the steering wheel straight. I had the car aligned by the dealer but they admitted they couldnt get it straight (one wheel was 0.1 degrees misaligned), do you think that can cause the problem?

I will check with the garage, but they seem to know nothing

• Administrators

Kostas,

Sorry no I meant the steering wheel it'self. It's a condition induced occasionaly when a steering wheel has been removed and then put on a few splines of centre. Thus when the sensor thinks it's turning when it's actually going straight...I don't think it will be this. But might be worth asking the dealer if the steering wheel is dead center (5 mins job if that). Not the alignment of the wheels.

hello, i ahve just picked up the car form the garage, thats what i was told:

ESP Light: faulty ABS ECU, to be replaced

Coil pack to be replaced

Rattle when cold: water pump faulty to be replaced

fortunately the car is still under warranty

Thank you all for your help

hello' date=' i ahve just picked up the car form the garage, thats what i was told:

ESP Light: faulty ABS ECU, to be replaced

Coil pack to be replaced

Rattle when cold: water pump faulty to be replaced

fortunately the car is still under warranty

Thank you all for your help[/quote']

That's very good news.

Water pumps are known to be weak.

I don't know the mileage of your car, but if it's anywhere near 60,000 miles you might consider having the cam belt changed at the same time. I know that when changing the cam belt, the water pump can easily be done at the same time. I don't know whether the reverse is true but it might save you a bit of money in labour if it is. If not, then scrap that last comment ;)

And thank you for your PM. :party: