cold start judder

i have a 1.8t skoda octavia 4x4 on cold start the engine starts fine but after a second or so the engine sounds like its missfireing and it shakes the whole car its ok once warmed up does anyone else have these problems or is it just me

Mine does something like that though not as juddery as yours by the description you give - starts, runs a little rough for maybe 5-10 seconds then sorts itself out and is fin from then on.

It does it maybe one time in 20.

I wonder what causes it. I don't remember this happening before I had the Carbonio fitted so that may have something to do with it?

It seems to be a common problem. Mine's the same - runs rough from a cold start to the point of almost misfiring until the secondary air pump switches off (after 60-90 seconds), then runs "a bit odd" for a minute or so, then it's fine.

There was a sticky post on here a while ago (something like "stutter is doing my head in") and there are several suggested fixes, but none seems to be definitive. I think it's probably one of those things where many problems cause the same symptom, and diagnosing it could be time-consuming and costly.

I'm just ignoring mine for now in the hope that someone will come up with a magic solution or definitive list of things to check.

Off the top of my head, these things helped some people:

- clean the throttle body and re-align

- replace the temperature sensor (the original one was black and the revised one is green, I think)

- clean / replace the spark plugs

- check / replace the upper Y-shaped breather hose

- replace the secondary air pump / drill out the rivets and replace them with bolts to fix an air leak

- replace some vacuum valve, I think (can't remember the details, and I may be confusing this with another problem I had)

I think there were some others, too. Anybody remember?

It seems to be a common problem. Mine's the same - runs rough from a cold start to the point of almost misfiring until the secondary air pump switches off (after 60-90 seconds), then runs "a bit odd" for a minute or so, then it's fine.

you,ve got it good (well not good) thought it was just mine :thumbup:

going to get a vag lead soon and have a play around see if i can find any faults

you,ve got it good (well not good) thought it was just mine :thumbup:

going to get a vag lead soon and have a play around see if i can find any faults

Me again mate.

I think Ive had every common fault on the octavia so Im a good find, not that this is a fault.

I had this after having my Carbonio kit put on, same as Rob. The pump kicks in for about 40 seconds and the car can run rough if you drive during this time.

Best option is to leave the car stationary for 30ish seconds till the pump stops then drive.

I have cured mine, I think it was a throttle body clean that solved it. An easy job to do, We will have a bash sometime soon, Ill get you a new gasket on my next visit to skoda, only a 30min job.

The pump kicks in for about 40 seconds and the car can run rough if you drive during this time.

Best option is to leave the car stationary for 30ish seconds till the pump stops then drive.

This kinda sums up the problem and the best cure IMHO

HTH