New Superb arrives Tuesday

Thanks, I hope so. Mostly motorway miles, so no DPF issues with any luck.

Hehe, just realised that the title of my thread might attract a lot of interest.... New Superb arrives Tuesday, hee hee...... ooops

Picking it up on Thursday, will post photos Friday....

Anyone have any thoughts about getting the headlamp protectors fitted? I mean, one stone chip and it would be an expensive repair.... but I've heard that they can affect fuel consumption/performance.

Good luck mate, the lamp protectors are the least of your worries tbh, wait until you have a problem with it, then face the Skoda tell him to pee off it's his problem not ours attitude, I for one will never buy anything VAG again, in 8 mths this car has managed to show me what I always thought, VAG = Myth and Legend, the reality is an expensive car to fix that needs fixing on a regular basis.

hmmm, Supurbia. I had a Superb from new for over 4 years (1.9 TDI Comfort), not a single problem with it and 60k miles on the clock.

Question is, was I lucky or are you unlucky? Have you owned a Skoda before, or is this your first one?

Well, I'm with Octygone. I thought my old Mk 1 L & K Octy was a stonking car, with bullet proof reliability, great build quality etc. and I did 80,000+ fault free miles in it over 4 years. But my Superb is even better.

I went for a 1.9 TDI PD deliberately, having read about the well publicised DPF concerns on the 2.0 and my Superb Elegance has been the dog's danglies so far. I absolutely love it.

It's 2 years old in August, has done 18000 miles so far with no sign of a service light yet on variable servicing, has only used less than half a litre of oil in all those miles, and has never been back to the dealers yet since the day it was delivered. I can get 50+ mpg on a run, love the comfort, the Elegance trim with all the leather, toys, heated seats etc and I'm sure you will really enjoy yours!!

Cracking car and 'superb' vfm

Picking it up on Thursday, will post photos Friday....

Anyone have any thoughts about getting the headlamp protectors fitted? I mean, one stone chip and it would be an expensive repair.... but I've heard that they can affect fuel consumption/performance.

I've had the protectors for 2+ years and as far as I'm aware I've never needed them, but I daren't take them off, cos you know what would happen. (By the way, they don't need "fitting" - just pop on 2 little clips and then slip into place. 2 mins tops) They're not that noticeable and I can't see them making any difference to fuel consumption, let alone peformance. But then I've got 4 mudflaps too, and 225 tyres, so the Cd factor's already shot to hell !! :rolleyes:

I suppose if Uncle Ron Dennis lent me his wind tunnel we could find a difference in the drag with and without them, but for the sake of 0.01p or whatever per mile in extra fuel, I'd rather save the exhorbitant cost of a new xenon.

Suppose if anyone is that concerned about the loss of performance/economy caused by adding headlamp protectors etc, the best thing would be to save weight - always drive round with the tank nearly empty - or maybe better still, leave the wife behind! :rofl:

One of my headlamp protectors kept catching on the squirter nozzle thing that comes out to squirt the headlamps. The silver cover thing came off eventually. Shortly after, one of the protectors disintegrated (wasn't aware of something hitting it). I haven't replaced them as yet. Would like to, to protect the Xenon's though not sure if it will catch again....

hmmm, Supurbia. I had a Superb from new for over 4 years (1.9 TDI Comfort), not a single problem with it and 60k miles on the clock.

Question is, was I lucky or are you unlucky? Have you owned a Skoda before, or is this your first one?

First one and last one mate, the car is set up to keep the dealer busy, electrics that get flooded out by a blocked drain hole, suspension bolts that rust in so bad they are near impossible to get out, constant aux belt squealing confirmed by three other owners one who suffered a sheared off alternator pulley, tyres that wear prematurely, egr valves that need lots of attention, an engine that needs one off oil that seems to change spec like a Halloween film changes number, seat belts that don't recoil smoothly, cv gaiters that rot out and split, a battery that is almost impossible to lift out due to position, bulbs that require more work than usual to replace, seats that creak, I won't bore you with the rest of the sub standard faults, the only thing it really has going for it is the rear legroom, I wish I'd never let ppl talk me into getting one tbh.

If I were you I wouldn' have another one - perhaps yopu can tell us how you get on with another make?

Well mate I usually run Vauxhalls, this has been ongoing since 1987, all as cabs btw, in 1989 I bought a brand new Pug 405, this car spent so much time back at the dealers it wasn't true, you'd have to fight for repairs in the service dept there were so many disgruntled customers, including one from Brittany Ferries who'd written 15 pages of A4 faults he'd found on his 7 day old car, anyway 2 yrs later I was back with the Griffin and have had 2 Cavaliers, 2 Omegas and 2 Vectra's since, having used 3 different dealers in a 20 mile radius of me, not one of them has managed to be as slack or disinterested as the supplying Skoda dealer or the local one, my last Vectra had two issues before a drunk turned it into a banana, the aircon had to be re-charged and the rear link bars also needed changing but other than that it was reliable and I had faith in it to stand up to the use until it was paid for, with the Superb I can see 1k of repairs looming around the corner in a few months, this will be bye bye time because I don't plough good into bad, I'd rather lose 1k on px than spend it and have to do it all again in 12 mths time, now I know there will be those scoffing that I rate VX so highly but until you own one you just can't understand why, I get the whole package from them, cheap discounted parts, fast service bookings and above all else they don't give up on you if they can't sort a problem out unlike my Skoda experience, so right now if I could choose I think it'd be VX, Honda or Toyota, although only VX is a proven thing with me.

As some of you will know, I'm fairly critical of the Superb but this stems from the fact that VAG have re-launched the old Passat on a low rent badge without correcting any of the design **** ups. The dealers are generally incompetent and many don't service the vehicles to specification. VAG UK are at best unhelpful and at worst ....

Despite all of this, the Superb is a good car if you get the right one. The 1.9 diesel is a great engine - I can think of no other car which will give the economy of a petrol Ford fiesta gently driven and yet pull a 1 1/2 ton trailer at illegal speeds without any complaints. It will also go very rapidly unhitched if you want it to - it's great to have the choice. The body is galvanised too.

I've had very little trouble with my Superb (one warranty claim for non-retracting seatbelt and one stuck boot catch which required a drop of oil) and it does my job perfectly.

I'm a great believer in finding the weak points of a car (they all have some) and addressing them before they become a problem. Find somebody competent to do this (or better still, do it yourself) and the Superb will make an excellent long term bangernomic.

I really value my 130PS PD diesel at today's fuel prices.

rotodiesel.

Good luck mate, the lamp protectors are the least of your worries tbh, wait until you have a problem with it, then face the Skoda tell him to pee off it's his problem not ours attitude, I for one will never buy anything VAG again, in 8 mths this car has managed to show me what I always thought, VAG = Myth and Legend, the reality is an expensive car to fix that needs fixing on a regular basis.

Strange, as my experience has been exactly the opposite. Been driving VAGs for some 14 years now - 2 Golfs, 1 Passat, 1 Bora and now 2 Superbs back to back from new. Bought my first Superb instead of an A6 as at the time the platform was shared and the running gear was basically the same, just you got more room, more gadgets and more satisfaction for your money with the Superb.

Current one is is just under 55k (Elegance 130 PD)and getting replaced in 3 weeks time as almost at its 3 year warranty expiry, but the last one I did 62k (Comfort 130 PD) in and I've not had a problem with either car. Excellent cruising up and down the length and breadth of the UK (plus a trip to Denmark as well), constantly returning around the 50 mpg mark - and I'm not one to take it steady.

Yes the parking sensors have gone on both cars, plus I had one headlight go after about 18 months, but that's it. Nothing else, just trouble free and hassle free motoring with a smug smile on my face as I waft past the Beemers and Mercs feeling totally relaxed and happy.

From my experience, well built cars and ahead of the rest of the pack unless you've been really, really unlucky.