Removing Aerial on Octavia II???

I've gone & bought myself a 'stubby' aerial off ebay...but when I went to remove the old one tonight...it does unscrew, but then it just lies flat on the back screen & won't pull out.

I've done a search on the site & see one reply to the same question, was to tug it with pliers ! Is this right & if I do that, can I refit it later (should the stubby not suit/work) or will the aerial & 'socket' be damaged.

I've never seen a setup like this before ! Oh well you live & learn...could it be another few quid down the drain at Ebay?

I've tried unscrewing and tugging like mad on the aerial; so much so that the roof was bulging upwards! There is absolutely no way it's going to come off using this method. (Unless I'm missing something)

Thanks for the replies guys. It all sounds a bit odd...fair play for them thinking of this...but what a pain if you want to change it...I too saw my roof start to bulge when I tried to remove it yesterday, which makes me reluctant to do it again. Has anyone refitted an original after removing it?

I did a test fitting with my shark fin antenna and had to remove the original for that. Arter test fitting just put the original one in and used it for a month before got around fitting the shark fin permanently. Worked fine, only thing different was that it was much easier to reamove for the second time (no brainer).

So, just unscrew the original one, hold it in the up position and and jank it off. Roof will bulge out a bit but will go down, you can hold the roof with your other hand if you want.

• Like 1

Well, there is instructions in the car manual. In short, loosen the antenna and put it in the low position. Then go ahead with the car wash.

Manual says that the antenna should not be thightened to the lower position but in my previous OCty II (hatch) I always thightened it and there was no problems.

...... or use the local eastern European guys operating a £5 handwash! I hate the thought of those auto carwash rollers against my paintwork...... especially as the paint seems to mark up so easily.

Fitted it guys, thanks for the info...I probably wouldn't have persevered if you hadn't tipped me off. I know see what you mean...it just didn't seem or sound right...but I didn't doubt you either !!!! (if that makes any sense?) In the end it was a mixture of twisting & pulling (with a little movement on the base & roof !!)

Thanks again.

No probs, I myself had doubts when first tried to remove the antenna. Had to take a couple of days rething and gather some courage :rolleyes: but hey, antenna defeated and shark fin installed.

Btw, for your next easy mod just do the climatronic center button mod, if not have done already ;):cool:

Hi,I put a shark fin on my octavia crap reception but you have to pull roof trim at back of roof where aerial is and unscrew from there this is the easiest way of removing it.I was told the mast of the aerial is not designed to come off.Hope this help's :thumbup: