Drivers side door lock problem!

Hi Good old soviet here,

I have a 2001 MK1 Octavia (yeti) and the lock barrel on the drivers side is just doing the turning, and not operating the central locking anymore.

As I need to replace this part, a neighbour has been telling me that a genuine Skoda barrel part is costing £160.

I have not confirmed this for myself as it is the Bank holiday, however I have seen this link on E-Bay which it says will fix my problem:-

SKODA OCTAVIA DOOR HANDLE LOCK BARREL REPAIR FIX KIT on eBay, also, Volkswagen, Car Parts, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 28-May-08 18:02:48 BST)

Has anyone had the experience of this, and will my existing key still work with this one.

Thank you

Soviet:rolleyes:

When delocking the car, you remove a screw and the barrel rotates freely.

Open the door and look on the inside edge, Make sure there are 2 screws one under each cap and they are present and done up.

Im sure its screw 1 that releases the barrel

skoda-delock.jpg

When delocking the car, you remove a screw and the barrel rotates freely.

Open the door and look on the inside edge, Make sure there are 2 screws one under each cap and they are present and done up.

Im sure its screw 1 that releases the barrel

skoda-delock.jpg

Hi Mluton,

And thank you for this useful help. I will check these screws, but I think that the barrel has now gone useless, as it has become stiffer with operation, and I was having a problem to withdrawing the key. I used some machine oil on it, and recently forced copper slip from a tube in to it. It is now just spinning without operating cetral locking, and so I need to do this from the passenger side.

Thank you

Soviet:thumbup:

Possibly a part has broken on the barrel. Skoda do repair kits for these, there are two part numbers and both should come in at less than £5 total. That one in the link appears to vastly over-priced to me. Quite a simple job to do and as you are not changing tumblers your original key will work.

Hi Fordfan,

Thank you for this useful information, as it does indeed seem as if the part has broken on the barrel.

I will make contact with the local dealer and ask about this repair kit.

I am most grateful to you.

soviet

Hi Fordfan,

Thank you for this useful information, as it does indeed seem as if the part has broken on the barrel.

I will make contact with the local dealer and ask about this repair kit.

I am most grateful to you.

soviet

Hi Fordfan,

I have Collected my two repair kits today. One kit is for repair of barrel and the other for the cylinder. For the two kits it came to a total of £1.99 including the VAT, which is even much cheaper that you mentioned.

I really can't thank you enough for this information, and you are seeming to be one of the most knowledgeable Briskodians on this forum.

I will now remove the barrel/cylinder assembly and try to work out which are the bad parts that are needing to be replaced. Just as help for anyone else on the forum that has the same problem the skoda part numbers are for a Skoda Octavia 2001 Mk1 engine type AEE are:-

Barrel repair kit S1U898001

cylinder repair kit S1U898002

The barrel kit is looking remarkably similar to the ones advertised on E-bay that have the asking price of £14.99 so I am seem to remember. Could it be that some one is making a bit of money at others misfortune?

Anyway I will let others know how I am resolving the problem, and get some photographs if possible.

Soviet:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Soviet,

did you have any joy fitting your new barrels? Any issues or pitfalls? I need to do the same thing for my Occy mk1 drivers door and also the boot lock. Would like to know if the kit fixed your problem. Thanks,

PhilCBR

Hi Fordfan,

I have Collected my two repair kits today. One kit is for repair of barrel and the other for the cylinder. For the two kits it came to a total of £1.99 including the VAT, which is even much cheaper that you mentioned.

I really can't thank you enough for this information, and you are seeming to be one of the most knowledgeable Briskodians on this forum.

I will now remove the barrel/cylinder assembly and try to work out which are the bad parts that are needing to be replaced. Just as help for anyone else on the forum that has the same problem the skoda part numbers are for a Skoda Octavia 2001 Mk1 engine type AEE are:-

Barrel repair kit S1U898001

cylinder repair kit S1U898002

The barrel kit is looking remarkably similar to the ones advertised on E-bay that have the asking price of £14.99 so I am seem to remember. Could it be that some one is making a bit of money at others misfortune?

Anyway I will let others know how I am resolving the problem, and get some photographs if possible.

Soviet:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

• 2 months later...
No can not do that as the keys I have are not the ones for this lock. Ive put in in as far as it goes and tried to move it up down and side to side.

You need to turn the key 90 degrees at least to twist the barrel loose IIRC.