Brand new octavia... good deal??

Hi,

I've managed to get a dealer to do me a brand new '08 (possibly '58 depending on delivery time) Octavia 1.8TSI Laurin & Klement estate, with front acoustic sensors and TPM (as well as the obligatory fabric carpet mats which I cheekily asked for at the end of the conversation!) for the total price of £17,200.

Now, being me, i'm always sceptical of everything; so what is the general consensus as to whether this is a bargain or just a run of the mill price?? Had some prices from brokers around the £17-17,150 mark for the same car.

And while i've got you, what colour do people recommend for not looking dirty within 5 seconds of driving, ie. black?!

Cheers,

Matt

Yeah, I got 3 brokers prices: UK Carfinders at £16,670 although it would possibly be a pre-reg, Broadspeed at £17,126 but they recommended I should put some ludicrous £100 price securing charge on top of that 'just in case the euro gets stronger as the price could change when it gets delivered (!)', if you can believe that!?, and Autofinders were doing it for £17,135 and were very nice and explanatory on the phone so that's the price I was aiming for. With the blagged carpets, the dealer price worked out roughly the same, i'm just sceptical about how this dealer can get so low compared to others, but I think that's just me.

:)

Yeah, I got 3 brokers prices: UK Carfinders at £16,670 although it would possibly be a pre-reg, Broadspeed at £17,126 but they recommended I should put some ludicrous £100 price securing charge on top of that 'just in case the euro gets stronger as the price could change when it gets delivered (!)', if you can believe that!?, and Autofinders were doing it for £17,135 and were very nice and explanatory on the phone so that's the price I was aiming for. With the blagged carpets, the dealer price worked out roughly the same, i'm just sceptical about how this dealer can get so low compared to others, but I think that's just me.

:)

Hi mate, was it this Saturday just gone that you rang us at AutoFinders? I'm sure I remember speaking to somebody on the phone about all that Broadspeed 'pay a securing deposit' situation and being quite taken aback by what they were asking!!

Sounds like a good deal you've got on the L&K though matey, well done! :thumbup:

Possibly, the whole week's been a bit of a blur with regards to phoning round. To be honest, if I hadn't had gotten so close with the dealer, I would have gone with you guys at Autofinders, but me being me, despite the reassurances I just felt a bit more secure with a dealer... although ironically enough i'm still dubious about that cos they managed to do it so cheap!! :rofl:

Anyway, apart from that, thanks for being so helpful; that was part of the reason i kept your number. You weren't necessarily the cheapest but I still would have gone to you.

Also had a few unfortunate nightmare stories about dealers giving preferencial treatment to non-broker bought cars cos they understandibly consider it taking from their trade. Not your fault, but that's the way of the world I guess!

Looks like I didn't do too badly then from the responses I got. Dunno whether I was just trying to convince myself it was all okay or whether it's the £17,000 hole in my wallet I was trying to justify!! :P

Cheers,

Matt

I have purchased 3 Skodas via brokers, Carfile in fact and like you, I was dubious at the start, but it no real hassle apart from when I got my Octavia, the supplying dealer went bust and thankfully, another dealer matched the deal I had set up.

But the fact that I only used Carfile initially and then the whole process was handled by their appointed dealers, basically meant I got a good deal and a dealer purchased UK car (my local dealer could not get anywhere near the prices I got - presumeably because of the volume of sales put their way meant Carfiles dealer could offer better discounts), so no different than going to your local dealer in a way, just all the hassle taken out.

Didn't quite match your deal by the way, which is great.

Hi Matt - sounds like a good deal. I recently ordered via Broadspeed myself and got a very good first quote and the dealer i've been in touch with directly since - all good thus far - except the factory waiting time! Only 4 weeks to go.... then i get my Race Blue vRS!

Cheers.

Thanks to you too Motr. Yeah, I kinda wanted to do the 'first person to drive this car' thing as well, as it may be the only time i'm in the financial position to buy a brand spanker! Where i'm getting it from is easily accessible to me whereas one other downside with Autofinders was it was a little out of the way to collect, although I could possibly have picked it up from the dealer but that may have been even FURTHER away. And if there were any probs with not accepting it for one reason or another (unlikely but these things happen), i'm not sure how jazzed i'd have been to do the journey again.

...that and I don't think they'd have chucked in a set of mats for asking cheekily! :D

The wife wanted race blue (we did test drive that colour VRs originally), but I kept having to explain to her, like a persistant child, that it was only available on the VRs!:weeping:

Gonna go have a look at colours today. Probably gonna plump for Anthracite Grey, but i'm not saying for definate just yet.

No worries mate. Should also point out that I have never had a problem when using my local dealer to do warranty work or servicing either. Just get the usual questions 'why didn't you buy from us', to which I reply, 'well, I tried'.

Exactly! Went back a few times to my local dealers and they never budged. I can understand why they can't go lower, but not when they get ****y that you bought it somewhere else: it's pretty simple!

Having said that, I did speak to Philip at Martyn Beever in York (IF YOU CAN HEAR ME OUT THERE PHILIP??) who was really easygoing and pleasant and very helpful, and very understanding that I didn't go there purely cos their best price was £17,600. Still, i'm moving there in a few years time and told him he'd probably be getting my service on the strength of his manner and he laughed and seemed generally pleased.:thumbup:

Nice guy.

That is a good deal. I got 2k off my L&K 2.0TDI DSG, with a good px on my 05 TDI. But this was a stock car which they then pre-registered for a month.

My previous Octy was pre-registered like this as well and it made no difference to the px price.

I thought mats were standard on the L&K.

Dunno, I guessed you didn't get the plush anthracite coloured ones, but I could be wrong. Anyone wanna confirm or deny?

My L&K came with plush mats included in price