1.2 70bhp whine

Has anyone noticed that the 12 valve 70bhp 1.2 engine seems to have an annoying whine when motoring along? My daughters 1.2 54 6 valve motor seems much quieter on the move and a more refined drive. Is it something to do with the design of the 12 valve that causes the extra whine?

Also , still only managed to get 38 mpg in mostly 38 mile return commutes which is some way short of the claimed 47 and thats driving like granny!!

I would welcome any comments and feel a visit to my dealer is on the way

Do you get this noise when increasing and decreasing speed? Mines a 64 12v Mk1 and makes a sort of 'whine-roaring sound' Its more quiter when going at constant speeds.

Having not yet driven at Mk2 yet can't really say any comments about it, but I'm sure have seen a comment that the 70 bhp 12v version is somewhat more louder than the 64 bhp 12v one.

Reece yes I think you're right it seems louder on the overun/throttle off.Seems a shame that a later development on the moter has worse characteristics /fuel economy

how many miles have you done so far? i found when i was using the 70bhp version it took over 1000 miles to settle down and give better mpg (either that or i just got better at driving it :))

it does have a whine, but im sure its no worse then the 60bhp version. ive got 2 examples outside, i'll try and listen more carefully next time im in them.

not sure about the refinment either, i found both to be pretty good. all in all i quite like the perky little 3 pot :)

Thanks , wooden , now done 3 thousend miles still can't get to the magic 40mpg . Have to admit though that the more I get to drive our motor the emgine tone grows on you. Our last car was a hyundai getz 1.1 gsi and always found it capable of 48 mpg so maybe the absence of one pot does the skoda no favours as far as economy goes.

Even after having all skodas in the last 15 years , and this is our tenth model , even the old favourit 1.3 gave 43mpg and the fabia sdi a fantastic 60 mpg. Wish we had not parted with our mark 1 sdi estate for the hyundai but even though the hyundai was a very refined motor it could not match the feel and strength of any skoda. Just wish skoda would publish honest mpg figures and not mislead the buying public.

• 4 weeks later...

I think its not even run in yet, give it a chance.

Might be worth getting the oil changed as that always helps.

Need to be really getting near 10k miles to be properly run in.

Also is this 38 mile drive, motorway, stop start or what?

I had a new 1.2 Fabia today as a courtesy car whilst mine was in for service.

With only 2k on the clock it was still virtually new, but the engine tone when accelerating sounded just like a Ferrari :lol: Was quite adictive and made my Octavia sound like an electric milk float once I got it back ;)

I have the 80 bhp diesel and have had a Matiz three pot plus used a daihatsu 3 pot at work some years ago. It has be realised by all that there is a higher level of noise in a three potter because it is doing the work of 4 pots. Most of us have only become familiar with lesser numbers of cylinders over the last 5-10 years. I am sure that the same comments could be made with regard to the old six cylinders being far quieter than the later four cylinders.

Just imagine then what the new generation of two cylinder cars might be like for noise. As said I think you do get used to it, I took my wife to work this morning in her Cooper and I can hardly hear the engine. It has a six speed box and does about 45 mpg with 3000 on the clock, I can appreciate some of us being mildly un happy not getting the claimed mpg. Lastly, why is it the makers do not state clearly that the mpg should improve by the time the engine gets to ----miles. Happy Fathers Day.

I had a new 1.2 Fabia today as a courtesy car whilst mine was in for service.

With only 2k on the clock it was still virtually new, but the engine tone when accelerating sounded just like a Ferrari :lol: Was quite adictive and made my Octavia sound like an electric milk float once I got it back ;)

they do sound great when giving them beans! bit like the c1, thats got a sporty rasp to it, but reading the blurb the sound is suppsosed to sound like a porche!! :D

i managed to get mine to 47.5mph the other day!!! lol. but that was a 2 hour journey to get ot poole and then 2 hours back again!!! and my car has been on a rolling road and is 80.7bhp!! and its the 1.2 12v!!!!

Just had one of these as a loan car for 2 days.

Only did town driving but was very impressed with how easily it revved and built speed up.

Got to admit it did sound nice too! Didn't hear much whine.

This one had 2400 miles on the clock.

Unbelievable difference between that and a Corsa 1.2 80bhp car I borrowed a couple of months ago when I took my wife's Astra Twintop in. That was really slow, didn't want to rev and you pretty much had to drive everywhere with your foot flat to the floor and 4000+ revs on the clock to keep up!

One thing I have noticed with the 2 loan cars I've had from Skoda (the 1.2 and a 1.9TDi) is that neither had ESP (mine does) and therefore had drum brakes at the back. As a result, the pedal seems to require a lot more travel and a lot more effort to stop quickly compared to my car.

Noticed my car rode slightly better too compared to the 1.2 - may be the extra weight of the engine helping there.

Just thought I'd report that the motor is now returning about 43 mpg since it passed the 3000 miles mark . better than the original 38mpg. Also engine seems to be more fluid and a little less course sounding. Can surely only get better??