How to change indicators on an Octavia II?

Noticed that the indicator lamp isn't as bright on the drivers side. It is the indicator bulb is attached to the driver side door mirror.

Would appreciate any information on how to change the bulb.

Did search, but couldn't find any topics on the subject.

When the indicators (or repeaters) were moved from the front wing into the wing mirror housings I beleive they changed from a traditional 12V 5W filament bulb to LED (Light Emitting Diode).

I think these new LED units are sealed and can only be replaced as a complete unit, lens and all.

I'm sure someone will be along who knows how to disassemble / repair them!

I know the brightness of mine is very much dependant on the angle you are viewing them from, purely because the light output from an LED is very directional.

Could it be the lens is cracked, if water has got in and clouded the inside this might have dimmed the output... I thought the life of an LED was far greater than that of a normal bulb?

When the indicators (or repeaters) were moved from the front wing into the wing mirror housings I beleive they changed from a traditional 12V 5W filament bulb to LED (Light Emitting Diode).

I think these new LED units are sealed and can only be replaced as a complete unit, lens and all.

I'm sure someone will be along who knows how to disassemble / repair them!

I know the brightness of mine is very much dependant on the angle you are viewing them from, purely because the light output from an LED is very directional.

Could it be the lens is cracked, if water has got in and clouded the inside this might have dimmed the output... I thought the life of an LED was far greater than that of a normal bulb?

Thanks for the help, I had a feeling it would mean replacing the whole thing, just got to figure out how to take it apart as I couldn't see any screws/clips once the cap was removed!!

Thanks for the link, will now get a new one from dealer( or 2 as I managed to crack the lense on the passenger side !!! (don't ask how, LOL)

• 2 years later...

Got a replacement for my vandalised / stolen door mirror today - it needs painting

To get the into the mirror - the glass needs to come off - wangle the mirror around so you get the maximum sized gap - the reach in with your fingers as far as you can and lift the mirror off the motor (apply pressure at the fingertips not on the edge of the glass) ... gently now - there's a pair of connectors for the heater to disengage - undo those and set the mirror to one side.

Having done that - it should be possible to ease the plastic cover off the mirror upwards - there may be a couple of clips at the bottom to spring of - really easy.

To get to the bit where the bulbs are - you want to get the bottom cover off (maybe the top can be left on when doing this, but taking the top off gives easier access) - This is held by two small self tapping T10 screws - one is tight beside the motor - should you need to take the motor off it's held on by three 3cm long T10 self tappers.

The bottom cover is a glued component comprising the lens covers and the black plastic bottom cover of the mirror.

I'll do some pictures tonight showing the parts later.

• Like 1

Pictures ignore the bit above about undoing the T10 screws - there's nothing useful to be found under there.

t8xbfo.jpg

Ok as above tilt the mirror around until you have the biggest gap possible

get yer fingers in there

then use you finger tips to lift the ring of clips off the motor, easy now - it'one side has the heater wires attached and they're only about an inch long connected with little spade type connectors - ease the connectors apart.

What you are not doing is grabbing the edge of the mirror to pull it off - do that you'll probably break the glass.

Once you've done that - you'll want to get the colour coded plastic cover off - on mine I found it was clipped lightly on the bottom edge, some friction clips in the top and a clip at the back. Sounds difficult - I just went in with a flat blad screwdriver and lightly eased the clips circled below

2enxbb4.jpg

Having lifted the cover slightly - unclip anything still attached in the rectangle . The lip at the back you can't see yet came undone easily for me - have a look at the later pictures

once the cover was free to move it lifted off easily.

2zhlg8i.jpg

This shows the cover removed - you can see the clip at the back of the cover

You can also see the puddle light - this has a bulb that could be changed - everything else seams to be sealed in, maybe it could be change - but I'm not going to try to hard to see since I have this mirror to replace one that some scrote stole off the car by breaking aluminium bracket. I needed to get the cover off to paint it.

The mirror assembly (claims to have been made in Poland in '07) cost about £55 on ebay - mirror glasses are about a fiver

Aerosol paint (9102 Silver Diamond) and lacquer will be about another £20 - hope it looks ok when done.

Hope this helps someone

Edited by peterhr