8 replies to this topic

#1 supersimon2000

supersimon2000

Briskodian

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 09:12

I have a 2010 Octavia vRS and the bonnet release handle in the cabin has stopped working. It still moves but nothing happens.

Does anyone know what the problem may be?

If so, how can I fix it?

I would really appreciate your help. I tried to get a hayne manual but there doesn't appear to be one for this model.

Kind regards

Simon

#2 Jerseyman

Jerseyman

Finding my Feet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Car:Octavia 1.9TDI Auto Estate -2007

Posted 25 October 2010 - 09:18

If the car is under warranty, I would get it repaired under warranty.

#3 avid fan

avid fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 09:37

Can't help I'm afraid, but would say I was very surprised how fragile this handle was when I first got our new Octavia a few months back :(

I was having a play around with everything, pulled the lever under the steering wheel and the whole thing came away in my hand!

After a bit of fiddling around i worked our which way it fitted back on, but was v. disappointed with the cheap plastic material they used for it. :dull:

#4 rwbaldwin

rwbaldwin

Briskodian

• FREEDOM
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,258 posts
  • Car:Octavia TDi 110

Posted 25 October 2010 - 09:45

Can't help I'm afraid, but would say I was very surprised how fragile this handle was when I first got our new Octavia a few months back :(

I was having a play around with everything, pulled the lever under the steering wheel and the whole thing came away in my hand!

After a bit of fiddling around i worked our which way it fitted back on, but was v. disappointed with the cheap plastic material they used for it. :dull:

In crashes, people were getting injured by the handle as found on the Mk.1 (very robust hard plastic held on with 2 large self-tappers)
These are designed to break away to prevent injury.

#5 prolfe

prolfe

Five_two!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,741 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 19:06

Mine was the same on my A3, it needed some grease to keep it moving properly, i took the spring out, greased it all up and it was fine.

#6 andyvee

andyvee

Very Happy Skoda Driver!

• FREEDOM
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,878 posts
  • Car:2015MY Octavia III L&K Estate 150PS DSG with every option imaginable!

Posted 25 October 2010 - 20:51

Can you feel any tension at all or is it just completely free moving?

Mine fell off the other day - I must say the clip that holds it on is a bit flimsy and comes out easily.

Does the handle seem to be fully engaged on the sprocket?

#7 vRSy

vRSy

Is hating this car right now!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,053 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 22:05

in the 3 years i had mine, i had that lever replaced twice due to it shearing off. They said my cable was tight, but ok........

#8 GLI

GLI

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 14:52

I have a 2010 Octavia vRS and the bonnet release handle in the cabin has stopped working. It still moves but nothing happens.

Does anyone know what the problem may be?

If so, how can I fix it?

I would really appreciate your help. I tried to get a hayne manual but there doesn't appear to be one for this model.

Kind regards

Simon

#9 GLI

GLI

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 15:02

Have just experienced the same problem.I took my 2009 Octavia VRS to a dealer for attention after the exhaust control system warning light came on.
When the technician tried to open the bonnet the release handle came away in his hand and even refitting it wasn't any use as the mechanism was tight and wouldn't release.I have had to leave the car with them to sort out as they tell me they will have to access the mechanism from underneath the car by removing the fans.They say it will take three hours!They tell me that they have dealt with two of these before.Thankfully it is being done under warranty.