Gearbox Oil Change

I have a MK2 Octy 1.9 TDI on a 57 plate. Although the gear oil spec by Skoda is ‘filled for life’ there are several blogs suggesting a change will prolong the gearbox life and have in the past always changed gear oil on a regular basis to good effect.

The latest spec oil is G070, needs 1.9 ltrs. also at about £8 a ltr from a dealer its cheap. I’ve noticed that it’s not the usual gear oil that I’ve used in the past but much thinner, more like ATF oil without the red colour. I assume more common thicker 75w gear oil will effect the gear change and mpg.

Now before I start it seems that VW in their infinite wisdom have on some cars have moved the engine and gearbox (tilting it forward) such that the filler hole isn’t at the correct level, the filling method for those boxes is described in one of VW’s tech buletins. Does anyone know if the Octavia fill hole is at the correct level? I suspect it is reading some of the blogs on this forum.

If you like me are in doubt I will measure what comes out and make sure the same amount of new oil goes back even if that means I have to remove the air box etc as per VW Buletin to refill the correct amount.

Now before I start it seems that VW in their infinite wisdom have on some cars have moved the engine and gearbox (tilting it forward) such that the filler hole isn’t at the correct level, the filling method for those boxes is described in one of VW’s tech buletins. Does anyone know if the Octavia fill hole is at the correct level? I suspect it is reading some of the blogs on this forum.

There is a .pdf copy of the buletin here gearbox refilling

As far as I can tell the 1.9l is correct but due to tilting of the gearbox the level is now above the top of the fill hole. In order to get around that problem the gear oil has to go in through the hole provided for the reversing light switch. You will have to take off the air box and the process will efectively make you adjust the gearbox cables.

If it costs so little for the oil I would think it worthwhile doing once the box is 60k miles or more. You could use the opportunity to adjust the cables and bleed the clutch fluid.

Thanks FriendlyFire for confirming the gearbox filling process. I have been looking at the same web site that you have pointed me to and found it very useful but wondered how similar the MK5 Golf was to the Octy in this respect.

Edited by silver73