Thermostat failure photos

Did a bit of work on the Fellatio.

Not heat from heater and temp gauge on 70 (resting on needle).

Went to the scrappy and got one of a newish Felicia that had the thermostat housing still intact (for 15 quid):

6629103929_927dce713e_b.jpg

Thermostat had definitely had it with 'they all do that' plastic clippage broken:

6629104827_074bdf6573_b.jpg

Coolant escaping - is this that special long life ORANGE coolant?

6629104413_443244859a_b.jpg

Flushing through - took a good few minutes to go clear:

6629105219_1a31a4dba3_b.jpg

Heater now blows hot and needle sits in the 87c range!

I got the thermostat unit from an MPi car - I swapped the sensor over for the old one. I think they're different (one has yellow marking, the other has blue).

Edited by Violet

Jeez that coolant is disgusting.. Well done for fixing the car, I like a good old gentlemens visit to the scrap yard for goodies although I normally go in for one thing and come back with something completely different :wonder:

If you could fit the temp sender to it, you could use the favorit cast aluminium one. The original temp sender on the Favorit is a threaded one I think and is single wire, only feeding the dash panel. Solid metal so no plastic to break. Pains me to see the water splashing all over the engine bay, lol.

I really need to take a visit to my local scrap yard sometime and have a proper look around, Only ever been close enough to see the big sign saying they don't sell tyres. It's under 5 minutes walk away and I've lived here over a year :o

God knows how long that was in the car - but rusting internals can pollute water in a day. Are the blocks/heads on these iron or alloy?

Did a 350 drive in it yesterday and it performed brilliant, was a bit nervous about the car when I got it, but starting to warm to it (no pun intended).

I got the thermostat unit from an MPi car - I swapped the sensor over for the old one. I think they're different (one has yellow marking, the other has blue).

hi...I've recently renewed my [MPi] temp sensor....quoted twenty quid-plus from local factors...bought one off Jorily's for a fiver plus postage!

My original one was a 'yellow' marked item...Jorily sold me a 'blue' one...on querying this, Was told that manufacturers have rationalised production, so now the blue one is sold for both !

As far as I can tell, the blue one seems to record a running temp very slightly below that which the previous yellow one recorded....so maybe the bluey reads very slightly low....? Or...more accurately??

[i changed it as I got fed-up with the throttle motor playing silly beggers every now and then....revving its nuts off whilst stood at traffic lights...very embarrassing as everyone thinks I'm an impatient old fart!........these instances occurring far less now!]

Mine isn't doing too well on fuel at the moment and it idle's really high (over 1k rpm). I'll try the blue one in there, thanks for the info!

that sounds to me to be something else entirely?

does your temp gauge still work?