Snow chains for 215/60 tyres DO exist!

Aha......... now I wonder if this will count as legal proper snow chain use in certain Alpine places? I just spotted these snow chains on the Superskoda website for 215/60 and 225/50 tyres:

http://www.superskod...6-and-17-wheels

But as we know there is not enough space to fit them to the front wheels so these are for the REAR wheels only......... which only normally get 2% of the power. Hmmm. But I guess if the going gets tough in snow, the front wheels will slip and the power will go to the back and voila you will get going. So a neat solution I'd say if you want to go to places with mandatory snow chain use (but want to have 215/60 winter tyres or only have summer tyres).

5L0091355.jpg

Also available here in the UK:

My link

Ah perfect! Everyone on here always maintains 100% that there is NO possibilty whatsoever of getting snow chains for 215/60 or 225/50 Yeti tyres, that I've never even bothered searching!

They are right in that you can't get them for the FRONT wheels but as per your link and mine you can get them for the rear wheels which should be more than enough to satisfy any legal requirements to fit them in certain parts of the world. :thumbup:

They are even cheaper on eBay!

These are £40 delivered for a pair of 9mm chains.

$(KGrHqNHJ!sE7yCShryfBO9HYEmG7g~~60_12.JPG

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item3a6e5623ee

Or £52,20 delivered for a pair of 16mm chains:

!CC!3pjwCWk~$(KGrHqUOKiUEzVwMyth3BNJy2CKEB!~~0_1.JPG

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item43aaab617f

So which are best then? 9mm or 16mm? Obviously 9mm is better if you have restricted space but I'm sure either will fit the Yeti's rear wheelarch? Is one better than the other in snow? Can you drive a bit faster on the one than the other?

Obviously a newbie who hasn't learnt how to post properly - sorry.

As a 1.2 TSI DSG owner who goes every year to the French Alps, I've been trying to solve this problem too. Despite all the fantastically helpful information on this site, and especially the Plumber's guide, I still don't know whether to believe Roofbox's website which says that this expensive type of snow chain is OK http://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbvehsel4_tab.php?emulate=snowchains&query=7756&vptype=&brand=Maggi&prodid=18003&Tyre=215/60-16&TID=244.

Maggi Trak chains which do not go over the inside edge of the tyre and will not hit any suspension or brake parts.

Are these just considered too expensive or do they not solve the problem for a front wheel drive only Yeti. Which, by the way, has been great in the recent snow with its Dunlop winter tyres.

Regards

SurreyYeti

Obviously a newbie who hasn't learnt how to post properly - sorry.

As a 1.2 TSI DSG owner who goes every year to the French Alps, I've been trying to solve this problem too. Despite all the fantastically helpful information on this site, and especially the Plumber's guide, I still don't know whether to believe Roofbox's website which says that this expensive type of snow chain is OK http://www.roofbox.c.../60-16&TID=244.

Maggi Trak chains which do not go over the inside edge of the tyre and will not hit any suspension or brake parts.

Are these just considered too expensive or do they not solve the problem for a front wheel drive only Yeti. Which, by the way, has been great in the recent snow with its Dunlop winter tyres.

Regards

SurreyYeti

Hi,

yes that type of chain that doesn't rap round the back of the tyre should be fine. It's catching the strut and the wheel arch liner from any extensions to that inner edge that's the issue with the larger and wider tyres (See guide as well).

4466875116_ec6cdb8fcd_z.jpg

Have a shop round might find something less expensive and there are a number of brands.

Regards,

TP

Hi,

yes that type of chain that doesn't rap round the back of the tyre should be fine. It's catching the strut and the wheel arch liner from any extensions to that inner edge that's the issue with the larger and wider tyres (See guide as well).

4466875116_ec6cdb8fcd_z.jpg

Have a shop round might find something less expensive and there are a number of brands.

Regards,

TP

Hi TP

Thanks very much, excellent. I'll hunt around. I did read that part of the guide but so many people seem to be saying that you can't put chains on the front that I wanted to be sure before splashing out.

And thanks to Johann too. I've followed loads of your ideas. Bought the car in the first place, plus the sunroof (fabulous) after studying your posts. Upgraded the boot light, waiting for Superskoda to stock the interior LEDs which they say they'll have in March, and looking to install a TomTom device or mount the iPhone with TomTom on it. Great car. I do get the DSG clutch disengage when reversing uphill out of our drive but I've got used to that.

Looking forward to the long distance drive to St.Foy near Val D'Isere with chains that I hope stay in the boot. I'm one who would dread being stopped by the French police after a surprise snowfall with no chains.

Regards

SurreyYeti

For 2WD on the front, you could try these Skoda chains:

My link

A bit cheaper, and a Forum 10% discount as well :p

Thanks, Arkaig.

I could easily get confused but the tyres I have are Dunlop Winter 215/60 R16s and you can't fit that type of chain because of the clearance issue that TP describes. I seem to remember that when changing the factory fitted 17 inch summer tyres I came to the conclusion that the 205/55 R16s might well work with chains but were considered to be an unapproved size for normal insurance purposes. So I went with the 215/60 R16s hoping that I could fit these non-inside wrapping chains.

Regards

SurreyYeti

Hi and welcome SurryYeti.

Have a look at these http://www.snowchains.co.uk/snowchains/Weissenfels+SUV+Clack+and+Go/

I have them just for emergencies as I cannot afford winter tyres emoticon-0106-crying.gif as I only work part time as does Kitten.

Not had an opportunity to use these chains yet, but when I do you lot will be the FIRST to know emoticon-0102-bigsmile.gif

Also, is it worth running on winter tyres all year round?? As when my std stock tyres wear down, I hope to replace them with winter tyres :yes:

Hi and welcome SurryYeti.

Have a look at these http://www.snowchains.co.uk/snowchains/Weissenfels+SUV+Clack+and+Go/

I have them just for emergencies as I cannot afford winter tyres emoticon-0106-crying.gif as I only work part time as does Kitten.

Not had an opportunity to use these chains yet, but when I do you lot will be the FIRST to know emoticon-0102-bigsmile.gif

Also, is it worth running on winter tyres all year round?? As when my std stock tyres wear down, I hope to replace them with winter tyres :yes:

Hi Macdemon and thanks.

I'll check out those chains, they seem a bit cheaper than the £260-ish for the Maggi Traks. The picture shows them wrapping on both sides of the tyre but a quick Google shows some other type of Clack and Go chains which only wrap the outside edge which is like the Maggi Traks. Do you know if the chains you have are like in the picture? I see you have 4WD. Would you intend to mount them on the front if you had to use them? I've only got that option with a 2WD.

I would defer to an expert like The Plumber but my understanding is that winter tyres will wear rapidly at higher temperatures so I intend to change back in April.

Regards

SurreyYeti

Hi Johann,

it's all in the guide ;)

My link

The 16mm links are to big; 12mm is the maximum permitted.

Can be expencive but have you looked at the Michelin Easy Grip :wonder:

Thanks TP. Must have missed that as everyone always states it is impossible. Still my question has not quite been answered: will it be sufficient to have them on the rear wheels only when you drive somewhere you must have chains? Will they accept them on the rear only of a 4x4 vehicle?

Also some of the £40 chains at 9mm have a comment stating "not to be used with MPVs or 4x4 vehicles" and to use special 4x4 chains. Now in my book that means heavy cars over a certain weight. The Yeti might be a 4x4 but it is not heavy. So for ocasional use and already having winter tyres, should a cheap emergency 9mm normal car set at £40 not be suitable for my use? I really do not want to spend £180 on something that will get so little use.

And thanks to Johann too. I've followed loads of your ideas. Bought the car in the first place, plus the sunroof (fabulous) after studying your posts. Upgraded the boot light, waiting for Superskoda to stock the interior LEDs which they say they'll have in March, and looking to install a TomTom device or mount the iPhone with TomTom on it.

Awh... pleasure. Glad you love the car as much as we do!

Macdemon the tyre companies say it is far better to run winter tyres all year than it is to run summer tyres all year. A winter tyres gives you 95% if a summer tyre's performance in the summer but a summer tyre only gives you 40% of a winter tyre's performance in the winter. BUT they will of course say this as winter tyres wear out a LOT faster in warm weather (i.e. above 7 degrees), so instead of buying new tyres every 25,000 miles or so, you will be buying them every 10,000. Kerching... more money for them (hence the "advice"). So yes, you can run them all year, but you will be financially FAR worse off believe me.

Just a thought, why can't we just add a 10 or 15mm spacer and matching longer wheel nuts to get enough clearance for chains? Would the wheel then foul the wheel arch instead?

Used to be standard practice on cars when I was young, and people thought it looked sporty!

Hmmmm, thanks for the 'heads-up' Johann.

I think I'll stick to summer tyres and use the snowchains, as I'vor is nearly 18 months old and we have yet to reach 10,000 miles in him emoticon-0110-tongueout.gif

Just a thought, why can't we just add a 10 or 15mm spacer and matching longer wheel nuts to get enough clearance for chains? Would the wheel then foul the wheel arch instead?

Used to be standard practice on cars when I was young, and people thought it looked sporty!

It would probably work but you would be putting extra load onto the wheel bearings. Almost certainly invalidate the warranty and probably insurance too.

I got 205x55x16 snow tyres for the very reason that I want chains on the front. I have these chains which seem to fit OK.

http://www.roofbox.c...5/55-16&TID=191

As the majority of traction and braking and all steering is done on the front I can't see any point in fitting them on the back.

As the majority of traction and braking and all steering is done on the front I can't see any point in fitting them on the back.

Hence my question which no-one seems to be able to answer........ I have winter tyres so not worried about steering and traction. I'd just want these to pacify local Police regulations in certain areas if they insist on me having to fit snow chains over and above having winter tyres.

I did not like the "roller skate wheel" look the 205/50 tyres gave my car so changed to the 215/60s as for 99% of the time I have winter tyres on I won't have chains on and they just look so much better. In all honesty I would probably never need chains and/or go skiiing once with the car so don't really need them (or expensive ones at the least). But having a cheap set just opens up opportunities should they ever arise.

Hi Johann,

obviously one cannot be sure on local police regs, however it is stated clearly in the owners manual that chains can only be fitted at the rear with either of the standard tyre sizes. That's your manufacturers operating instructions and I cannot see they can argue against that :wonder:

Also now annotated in the latest Skoda Germany/TUV tyre and rim approval list.

My link

Oh Skoda do list these as an official accessory part;

Snow chains for 225/50 R17 and 215/60

R16 tyres (5L0 091 355); suitable for rear

wheels of 4x4 versions only.

5L being a Yeti designed part.

TP

Hi Johann,

obviously one cannot be sure on local police regs, however it is stated clearly in the owners manual that chains can only be fitted at the rear with either of the standard tyre sizes. That's your manufacturers operating instructions and I cannot see they can argue against that :wonder:

Also now annotated in the latest Skoda Germany/TUV tyre and rim approval list.

My link

Oh Skoda do list these as an official accessory part;

Snow chains for 225/50 R17 and 215/60

R16 tyres (5L0 091 355); suitable for rear

wheels of 4x4 versions only.

TP

Thanks TP. Good so my manual will show mr plod it is ok.

Now: will car snow chains do? Or do they have to be 4x4 ones? Do FWD and RWD snow chains differ in any way?

My Monster is not 4x4, and my winter tyres are just 205/55 R16, but I can still recommend Maggis. They work like a charm. Easy to install (although waaay less easy than advertised and still waaay easier than regular ones), rock solid on the wheel and easy to take off.

Here is what they look like in action:

gallery_78300_361_53906.jpg

@Johann: I believe there is no difference between snow chains you mention. Lower profile maybe - but it is not exclusive to 4WD only.

Edited by EZ_lo

• 1 year later...

Hi Johann,

it's all in the guide emoticon-0105-wink.gif

My link

The 16mm links are to big; 12mm is the maximum permitted.

Can be expencive but have you looked at the Michelin Easy Grip emoticon-0112-wondering.gif

Regards,

TP

Thanks Johann and TP for your posts.

I couldn't believe that it was not possible to put snow chains on my Yeti adventure and I've been searching for a solution.

When I called the Skoda dealer they told me…sorry you need to change the rims and tryes….Argggg. 

So after reading this forum I'm going to try the Michelin Easy Grip on my front wheels with 225 50 R17 tyres.

Anybody else tried this?

Cheers

Andrew

Thanks Johann and TP for your posts.

I couldn't believe that it was not possible to put snow chains on my Yeti adventure and I've been searching for a solution.

When I called the Skoda dealer they told me…sorry you need to change the rims and tryes….Argggg. 

So after reading this forum I'm going to try the Michelin Easy Grip on my front wheels with 225 50 R17 tyres.

Anybody else tried this?

Cheers

Andrew

Have them but not needed to use them in anger as yet.

My 215/60 set is up for sale if your intrested as I'm changing the Yeti for an Octavia in a couple of months.

Regards,

TP