No More Scouts ?

:sweat: Just called into Rainwoth Skoda to book a service ,and chatting to a salesman he told me there would be no more Octavia Scouts ordered, just received information from Skoda UK that they would no longer be supplied.
  • Like 1

Delayed April Fools?

Pressure from within the group to stop bettering their pricier (and poorer ground clearance) products?

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/#/new/passat-alltrack-gp/

Maybe 2,888 total since early 2007 just doesn't cut it?

http://howmanyleft.co.uk/combined/skoda_octavia_scout

If true (of which I'm doubtful) then I'm definately keeping it till it dies!!

Niall

I wouldn't be surprised if they did stop production of Scouts soon. As much as we love 'em, they now have the Yeti (and are pushing sales of it like no ones business!). So if you consider the volume of Scouts made across the whole Octavia platform range then that figure is a real niche model. Remember that Scouts are made in very small batches, so if a new Octy is in the line up for next year say, then there may only be a limited number of build slots left anyway. Add to that the lead time for factory order Scouts (shortest I heard of was six months and some went over a year), and you begin to sense there could be more to this than a Lirpa Loof! (google it :yes: or try You Tube!)

I'd agree with you Niall, at the minute there is nothing on the market that ticks all the boxes for us, like our Scout does. So i'm expecting a very long term relationship!

They'd have to bring out a bigger booted Yeti before I'd consider it as a replacement & it would need a major facelift bore the Mrs considered it.  Being a 2nd hand buyer I may be able to replace my current one with another reasonable mileage Scout once more.  If not I'd look at the regular Octy 4x4 or the Superb 4x4 although I'd occasionally miss the ground clearance - I banged the underside of my previous oct 4x4 a few times where the Scout clears no problem.

Have to agree mate. I don't doubt the usefulness of the Yeti, but for my needs it's roof line is too high and it's boot's the wrong shape! I can deal with the looks as most of the time you are sat inside!

Pretty sure they're bringing out a 7 seater Yeti, which would then mean a bigger boot when in 5 seat mode. Maybe this is the solution...? On the plus side if this isn't a joke, and they are stopping production of Scouts, then this can only be a good thing for used prices surely?

Not good news for us Scout owners in Australia, as it will absolutely kill resale. The Subaru Outback outsells the Scout by at least 10 to 1 here, and the Scout will simply become an orphan.

That said, I'd pretty much decided to switch to the Alltrack next year anyway....

That said, I'd pretty much decided to switch to the Alltrack next year anyway....

How about a VW Passat Alltrack? Maybe this is the real reason for the Scouts demise?

VWPassatAlltrack.jpg

How about a VW Passat Alltrack? Maybe this is the real reason for the Scouts demise?

I thought that's basically what I said? The Subaru reference was to that fact that, whilst Scouts seem well loved in the UK, they've been rolled by the Outback juggernaut here in Australia, and being orphaned will make it even worse. The Alltrack addresses the areas where (for me) the Subaru beats the Scout (mostly rear legroom/space), so it's top of my list atm.

Its back to why pay more for a VW badge. With a Skoda you also get slightly older technology as things come out on Audi's & Dub's first. That way you already have an idea with a bit of research whats good & whats a lemon making buying the same but fior less such a good idea.

I cant see me going to VW, overpriced so will probably go elsewhere.

The Scout is I think the best car we have ever owned, solid,rugged, will go anywhere the tyres will let it ( if you want more change the tyres) pretty good on fuel, can run at 130 mph so no slouch, quicker than many things around corners if you take confidence from the car & get used to the "lean", especially in the wet yet totally happy on the weekly torture trips to the supermarket or a 4000 mile run across Europe. Its demise if true is probably because its too cheap for the VAG brand & makes the raudis etc look what they really are "overpriced" & will make the Passat seem reosnable

I certainly wont be going for a Yeti, no offence to those who have them but its dead in the water on looks for me, its says I want a 4x4 but cant afford a real one, agreed great reviews & many many happy customers so Skoda have built a winner but Im afraid it wont win me over. I want a good estate car with the bonus of 4wd & a bit of extra ground clearance that gets me where I want to go & can handle the odd bit of snow we get down south.

Snag we have is the Scout is racking up the miles, on 66K & not 2 years old until may so whilst we will run it into the ground that may not be more than 2-3 years, Then I guess it will be Subaru if the Mpg of the Diesel is any good or a Petrol one with LPG (Mmm, thinks, heating gas tank at home, no fuel duty, Subarus have just got cheaper. Of course illegal so one wouldnt do that would one :giggle: )

I wonder if the older technology you refer to is contributing to its demise?

If the Scout is the only 4x4 model using old parts and is being sold in relatively low numbers, perhaps VAG aren't prepared to spend the money on redesigning the Scout with the same/similar technology that modern 4x4 VAG vehicles benefit from?

Is the Scout running the same Haldex system as the Yeti or an older version?

I wonder what four wheel drive system the VW Passat Alltrack will use?

I certainly wont be going for a Yeti, no offence to those who have them but its dead in the water on looks for me, its says I want a 4x4 but cant afford a real one, agreed great reviews & many many happy customers so Skoda have built a winner but Im afraid it wont win me over. I want a good estate car with the bonus of 4wd & a bit of extra ground clearance that gets me where I want to go & can handle the odd bit of snow we get down south.

I beg to differ on some of these points.

Having switched from a series of 5 Octavias (2 hatches annd 3 estates) to a yeti I can tell you the yeti looks more or less identical from where I sit (ie the driver's seat).

I also disagree about the wannabe 4x4 message. I bought mine without any wish for a 4x4, I never go off road so I don't need 4x4. The worst I ever go on is rough farm tracks and I used to find the Octavia scraped the underside on the tracks on rocks etc.

We usually get plenty snow (it's snowing heavily today for example) but winter tyres are a far better (and cheaper) solution. So better ground clearance plus a smaller car was what I was after. A 1.2 yeti offered both of these. If it had only been available as 4x4 I would have looked elsewhere to be honest.

Back to Skoda's plans, they have already said they will be building a bigger SUV (yet- tiguan sized, new car- Touareg sized) so it's probably no surprise there will be no new Scout when the new Octy arrives.

I also like the Yeti, I've been fortunate to drive a few different ones now, however I wouldn't be able to replace my Scout with one as the boot isn't big enough for our pushchair, the paraphernalia associated with a toddler and a full weeks worth of shopping.

Equally if Skoda do launch a Toureg sized SUV this also won't be much good for us as they are simply too big, too thirsty and too expensive.

So if the Scout does die and my only options would be a Yeti or large SUV then I'm afraid I'd be looking outside of the Skoda brand for its replacement :(

Edited by silver1011

We also looked at the Yeti and were put off by the luggage room - great if all you want to carry is a suitcase in the upright position. No use with a dog and a baby.

Shame about the Scout, if we'd had a bit more cash we might have gone for one.

I'm sure the compnents used to raise the ride height on the Scout will be available to order from the parts department.

The plastic panels and bumpers will also be available as long as there are Scouts on the road so you could simply make your own!

<p>

<br />

Can the regular Oct 4x4 be jacked up an inch or two?  Body kit's not a biggy although I do like the 'look'<br />

The 4x4 is raised compared to the normal Octavia. The scout is only 17mm higher than the 4x4. I'll be gutted if there are no more scouts/4x4. Suits me perfectly. The Yeti appears the wrong shape for our needs.</p>

Ok chaps & chapesses

There are quite a few models dropped, the Scout, 4x4 , I believe the L&K, possibly just estated,, some 140 diesels, some 1.2's

Its all the ones on long deliveries & its all to do with the new Octy 3 being launched. With Scouts on 9 months no point in taking orders for cars that be "old model" or close to that when the 3 comes along So the good news is we now know "roughly" when the 3 will be here & the chap I spoke to said he can see no logical reason why the best selling specs wont appear on the Octy 3, just maybe not straight away

Phew, I think I can relax now

<p> The 4x4 is raised compared to the normal Octavia. The scout is only 17mm higher than the 4x4. I'll be gutted if there are no more scouts/4x4. Suits me perfectly. The Yeti appears the wrong shape for our needs.</p>

It is but I used to catch the bottom of my 4x4 where the Scout clears no problem - although avoidable & not a regular issue . (talking of clearance - washing the cars at the weekend I moved the washed Jeep so I could do the Scout - I drove over the bucket with the Jeep & but fortunately never even touched it!)

The Yeti may look like an Octy from the driver seat & share a load of other gubbins but as vehicle I'd find it a PIA for my needs. I'd be happy with the regular 4x4 & I really like the 4x4 Superb estate in the abence of the Scout but was hoping to maybe get a 2012 Scout in around 3 years time or maybe an early III version if i kept mine a bit longer.

VW/Audi seem to have this market sorted . The " Chelsea Quadbike " Alltrack will continue to satisfy the Home Counties .

The Passat is good news because puts a lid on the designs and cost of a new Octy 3 Scout . VW will not want inter brand competition .

Being a Skodaphile , I will want a good basic car with sound 4x4 technology that will go anywhere on a recognised road or track every day of the year . I do not want a brochure extras laden car that bulks up the price to my maximum car allowance ( because I am paying for it ! ) ...... that is what the Passat will now be all about for VAG .

This leaves a niche area for an affordable Octy 3 Scout .