Unexpected ABS fault code.

Dad came to visit in his 2004 Fabia 1.4 16v comfort. He had the engine light come on after a 'fast' 70 miles but did not notice a problem. I scanned it next day and got 16686 - cylinder 2 missfire - intermittent. Saved the scan, cleared codes and it has not come back yet. (I've put plug 2 in cyl 3 and coil 2 on cyl 4. If it happens again it will be informative which cylinder misfires!)

However thats not the question I want to ask. There is also an ABS code. 16347 - Control module - Eeprom error.

Now he hasn't had the ABS light on or had any problem with the brakes but they have always felt very fierce when I have driven it in the past with passengers being thrown forward every time I touch the pedal till I get used to it!

Ross Tech says it means 'Control module doesn't perform to factory design, ?wrong firmware, ?Failed module. Module appears to be Bosch 8.0 and RossTech adds - see TPI 2014687.

Please can anyone enlighten me on TPI 2014687?

Nigel

Sounds like either the Eprom has a checksum error, or the wrong firmware has been flashed into the Eprom. Very rare, and I don't have much information on this, sorry.

I have known this occur when one of the two main ABS fuses is loose/has a crack in it or the alternator is bad. After checking (and fixing), try disconnecting the battery for a good 30 minutes and see if the error clears.

If the fault doesn't go away, contact www.bba-reman.com/uk/index.aspx who may be able to help