oil pump failure issue in 2.0tdi. oil light on .

The oil pump drive will have failed... a very common fault on this engine, unfortunately you picked the only bad engine to have, it is also not a cheap repair.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, ideally you should of found Briskoda before you bought the car and you would no doubt not of bought a 140PD MKI Superb, real pity as they are otherwise a great car.

depends on how long light as been on and when it happened?

2 choices chain driven pump this will mean new pump balance shaft assy minimum if it hasnt done engine

the other has a allen key drive for pump which snaps the last 10-15mm off of it

this will req pump and drive minimum

both senarios may req turbo if engine ok

All Superbs were fitted with the later geared drive to the balance shaft assembly. The oil pump is driven from the slave balance shaft via a hex bar muff coupling.

The hex bar has insufficient engagement with the bore of the slave shaft and the torsional oscillations round the corners off the bar resulting in drive failure. The consequential damage to the engine main bearings and turbocharger is likely to be considerable making the engine uneconomic to repair unless you stopped the engine very quickly or were very lucky.

This job can easily turn into a money pit. Find and fit a usable spare engine and offload it - preferably to a VAG dealer. The Trade know full well that this engine is a lemon and will probably not touch it.

rotodiesel.

• 5 months later...

Sorry to hear about tommystone's problem. Is this something I should be worried about? - I have just ordered a new L&K 2.0 TDi 170 estate!

I had 3 yrs with an L&K 2.0 170 TDi Octavia and 3 years with a Superb Elegance 2.0 170 TDi. Both were company cars on lease - never had any problems at all. My new one is bought with my own hard earned cash!

Thanks for any comments.

Geoff

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry to hear about tommystone's problem. Is this something I should be worried about? - I have just ordered a new L&K 2.0 TDi 170 estate!

I had 3 yrs with an L&K 2.0 170 TDi Octavia and 3 years with a Superb Elegance 2.0 170 TDi. Both were company cars on lease - never had any problems at all. My new one is bought with my own hard earned cash!

Thanks for any comments.

Geoff

That's a different engine all together. The one mentioned is this thread is the 2.0 PD older unit. The one in your 2.0 170 is a newer CR unit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2